Dual Core?

Reaction score
Hey. I hear alot of people saying that the new PowerBook in January are G4 dual core. What does this mean. Its not dual processor, so yeah. What's dual core. I appricieate your help.

Thanks!

W

Wapa18

it's like dual processors. the one G4 chip has two microprocessors in it, instead of there being two physical G4 chips

M

mlazuka

does anybody have a guess on the processor specs if Apple did come out with it in January? Would it have something like two 1 ghz processors on the same chip? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
shaun89 said:
Alright thanks for the replies. I'll google it.

Dual core chips are been researched and maybe coming to light from AMD, not sure will IBM adopt the idea, last i heard they are working on a G6 prototype. If they are prototyping a G6, why step backwards to produce a Dual core G4? Why not a Dual core G5 and have release a G5 system that Dual, Dual Core G5?

Progress is about moving forward and building systems with newer faster technology not rebuilding the old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
hype.it said:
Dual core chips are been researched and maybe coming to light from AMD, not sure will IBM adopt the idea, last i heard they are working on a G6 prototype. If they are prototyping a G6, why step backwards to produce a Dual core G4? Why not a Dual core G5 and have release a G5 system that Dual, Dual Core G5?

yahoo news had an article a few weeks ago talking about dual core chips and how ibm is working on them....so i do believe that they will be adopting the technology

good point you bring up though, would they actually do dual core g4 chips? they could possibly go that route because it seems that at this moment g5 powerbooks are not too doable. so once a g6 comes out or the PB needs a major update a dual core g4 seems more likely...my 2 cents
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
AMD's and G4 used to share the same manufacturing line, so i was told but i wonder is this true with AMD 64's and G5's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.