I just used a cleaning wipe on my glossy screen.

Reaction score
Specifically Nice 'N Clean Anti-Static Cleaning Wipes, which SAY they're safe for "non-glare and laptops", but they contain "water, isopropyl alcohol, glycol ethers, and surfactants" and I'm extremely worried about the fate of my baby's beautiful face (which is 1 month old tomorrow). I've only done this once, and NEVER AGAIN. I know I wasn't supposed to use alcohol but I sort of automatically cleaned the screen ... Did I just do irreversible damage to it? Is my paranoia making me imagine that glare/film on the screen?

I immediately used the cleaning cloth that came with my MB (both damp and dry) and there was some definite streaking and I can still see residue. It's sort of shimmery. Plus there's a sort of blue-green glare around the reflections of lights. GRRR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
well, when you clean your screen, use a damp cloth to wipe it clean. But keep one part of it dry to clear any remaining water off. Try not to use anything with alcohol in it next time ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Or you can use something like iKlear.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, I already know that stuff. I just want to know if I've probably damaged the screen's coating. :/

And I definitely need to invest in some iKlear, haha!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Probably not.....since it's just basically a clear plastic, get some iKlear and clean it really well.....should be ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I have used this method for 18 month's now.
Just warm clean water in bowl with ONE drop of washing up liquid, then a NEW j-cloth, just dip the CORNER in and wring out so "JUST DAMP NOT WET" then wipe over the screen and dry of with the dry part of the cloth, if any smears left wipe over with a camera lens cloth.
I have a MacBook and iMac, and both my screens are like new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Noels is that still doing the rounds? Amazing how a 'keyboard locker' unlocks on command?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
harryb2448,

Yes, it is... I downloaded it about 2 months ago (fairly new switcher) and have used it 3 or 4 times since. Neat program - beats having the keys call out all the commands you can invoke when you clean your keys without a blocker of some kind :) Cmd-Q for quitting is relatively safe when you clean the keys. Better still, the screen can be thoroughly cleaned without any visual distractions.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.