Problems Deleting Backups on External HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
While trying to delete old backups on my older HD, I moved them to the trash on my computer to delete them. When I go to empty the trash, it just keeps adding up all of the files in the backup folder to delete. This is going to take forever and it doesn't give me the option to restore the file to where it was. Is there a better way to do this?

The next problem is the HD itself. The backup files are still taking up space on it, but I cannot see them. I dragged the backup files from the trash back into the HD but it's trying to put the files on the drive again in another folder. Is there a way to get rid of everything on this partition of this drive without reformatting?

Specs: External drive- 2 partitions. Affected partition: Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

EDIT
One more question: Is there a way to delete individual files from the trash, or can I only just empty it all out?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
The problem isn't that there is something keeping me from emptying the trash, the problem is that there is no way to just delete something from the Journaled partition on the external drive. The only thing I can do is transfer the file to the trash, but it still stays on the external drive and when I go to empty the trash it could take almost an entire day to delete the transferred backup file. Doesn't OSX have a simple way to just simply delete something from an external drive?

Extra question: Is there a way to restore files to their original place from the Trash or do I just have to drag it into another folder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.