Problems with MacBook

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Hey, I have a white MacBook 2.16ghz with 3GB ram.

I have it for 5 months now and lately it started making problems, like, when I open the lid (while the computer sleeps) it gets stuck and i have to turn it off and turn on again, also its very slow lately.

I have to say, it had a OSX 10.4.10 on it and I upgraded it to 10.5 like 4 months ago (not clean install).

Maybe I have to reinstall the OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
people debate this all the time but i believe that a clean/fresh install is the only way to go. i know that many people archive/upgrade install and have no problems but i always opt for the fresh OS install.

OP
X

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
people debate this all the time but i believe that a clean/fresh install is the only way to go. i know that many people archive/upgrade install and have no problems but i always opt for the fresh OS install.

I always think like that also, but the real question here is if I really need to do this.

Reaction score
Macbook Fault

Hi Xer,

You could try a boot from disk and see if the problem persists, cause you'll be running the os directly off the disk image therefore the system files in the hard drive isn't used. Did it happen recently after you installed something?

Derek.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I always think like that also, but the real question here is if I really need to do this.

I would recommend doing an archive & install. This will retain all of your documents, files, settings and applications, but would basically be a clean install for the OS itself. Standard upgrades to Leopard have proven to be problematic. Also, due to the fact that you've forcibly powered the machine off on so many occasions now, it would be helpful to run a filesystem check. This is done as follows (excerpted from DB's Basic OS X troubleshooting):

D3v1L80Y said:
File System Check - When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in exit and it will start the computer in normal mode

T

todd51

I would have to have a clean install of the OS. I don't think I would ever be able to do an upgrade. Just a personal opinion of course. One of my friends did an upgrade and his MB works just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.