strange quirk... and a quick question

A

agentphish

So i have a PB15, purchased in september. A friend here at school has a 12 inch one purchased about a year and a half ago. We are both in the same room, connected to the same network, and hers says it connected via "Airport Extreme" and mine just says connected via "Airport"

Whats the difference?

Also is there any advantages/disadvantages to updating to the Airport 4.1 software from appleupdate? I thought at some point i had read that there was a problem for some people with the update.
If my PB is working fine wireless wise, should I update?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
I always update is apple says so...but thats just me ;)

OP
D

danger_boy_13

I believe that Airport is the 802.11b standard (11 Mbps) and Airport Extreme is the 802.11g standard (54 Mbps). If you are using it to connect to the internet, it isn't going to make a big difference because you won't get internet speeds higher than 11 Mbps usually anyway (usually).

As for the updating, I usually update if Apple says to. I guess I'm a drone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yes, it simply refers to what speed you're connected at. You can confirm this by running Network Utility and it will show your connection speed.

Your friend is connecting at 54 Mbps, you're connecting at 11.

OP
A

agentphish

ok... well why would she be getting a faster connection then I? her machine is almost like 1.5/ 2 years old and mine is brand new. I didnt think they had the faster cards in PB's yet, and i also thoguth that my PB came with a G card... thought they all did as of now.

OP
I

iSheep

I have AirPort Extreme, but it says "connected via AirPort". Must just be a change in the way it's written.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.