Help...Tiger Runs Very Slow on G4 Power PC

Reaction score
Greetings all--
I am hoping someone with much more knowledge than me can help me out. I have an older G4 Power PC which I bought used some time ago. It has two hard drives, the slave is a 20GB the master is an 80GB. Here are the specs:

1GHz Power PC G4
Memory 896 MB
Master Drive 80 GB (21 GB still available)
Slave Drive 20 GB (3.46 GB still available)

Recently, I upgraded from OSX 10.3.9 to Tiger. My computer is now running very slowly, something that was not a problem with Panther. At first I was running off the Slave drive and thought that might be the problem. I installed Tiger on the Master driv and I'm now running off that but with the same results. I now have Tiger installed on both drives and have a very slow computer

Can anyone help?

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Very strange...I would expect a computer that nice to run Tiger quite smoothly. You might try backing up your data and doing a clean install of Tiger (rather than an upgrade). Did you install either operating system using Target Disk Mode? I've noticed that this can sometimes result in a slow, buggy system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion use the smaller drive in a case as an external using SuperDuper, format and zero the larger HDD and do a fresh install of Tiger and then Software Update to X.4.11.

Also max out the RAM will do wonders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.