I need a PDA but don't know which one to get

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

I need a PDA (not a PDA/phone combo) but quite confused on what I should get. Quite a few years ago, I had a Palm and was quite happy with it and synced well with my Windoze PC but now realize that technology has made leaps and bounds since then.

What I need:

• Something affordable
  • Would sync well with my iMac
  • Ample available Freeware and Shareware programs
  • Usage: keep track of the effects of prescribed meds several times/day, appointments, reminders w/ alarm, contacts, todo lists and a few other useful personal/business programs
  • Large enough screen
  • preferably with a mini keyboard
  • optional; built in camera (not necessary but convenient)

I don't really need WiFi and other bells and whistles.

Thanks,
Gene

Reaction score
I see no reason why you shouldn't just get another Palm OS device. If you want a mini keyboard, you'll have to go with an older model like Tungsten C.

What didn't your old Palm do that you are wanting now?

Reaction score
If you can wait I would say wait till the new Iphone comes out you will see a flood of the 1st gen on Ebay at the same time apple will have the new update and you can see if the programs you want are on Itunes if so you can pick up a Iphone pretty cheap considering the new ones are going to be $200 pop out the sim car and it will work like a Ipod Touch and should have a Good number of programs on it, It sync's with no issues but wait till the release of the new os for Ipod touch and iphone to ensure they have the programs you want. I know your not looking for all the bells and whistles but if you can get a deal no harm in having them and the touch screen is great for typing on.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Thanks for your input.

What didn't your old Palm do that you are wanting now?

It would have probably served my immediate purpose but I sold it years ago, I wasn't using it much back then.

Cheers,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can wait I would say wait till the new Iphone comes out you will see a flood of the 1st gen on Ebay at the same time apple will have the new update and you can see if the programs you want are on Itunes if so you can pick up a Iphone pretty cheap considering the new ones are going to be $200 pop out the sim car and it will work like a Ipod Touch and should have a Good number of programs on it, It sync's with no issues but wait till the release of the new os for Ipod touch and iphone to ensure they have the programs you want. I know your not looking for all the bells and whistles but if you can get a deal no harm in having them and the touch screen is great for typing on.

Thanks for the info but being that I usually reside in Central America (and will be heading back in a few months), it'd be a pain to have it fixed if it ever broke down (Apple stores are few and scarce whereas Palm, Samsung, etc.) can be easily serviced.

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
I agree with mynameis: I am using a Palm Centro and love it.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks, guess I'll be going shopping this week and see the various models. Good to know you like your Centro but the phone part of it won't do me any good in Central America because of the carriers.

Thanks,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
A Palm Centrino or a 700P would work nicely.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I also wonder if software written for Palm OS 3 will run on 5.4...

Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
I don't see why you wouldn't just pick up an iPod Touch... That's basically my PDA... What would a Palm do that a Touch wouldn't?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't see why you wouldn't just pick up an iPod Touch... That's basically my PDA... What would a Palm do that a Touch wouldn't?

He already answered that question...

Thanks for the info but being that I usually reside in Central America (and will be heading back in a few months), it'd be a pain to have it fixed if it ever broke down (Apple stores are few and scarce whereas Palm, Samsung, etc.) can be easily serviced.

Cheers,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus the fact that there's a truckload of applications for the Palm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Definitely Palm I'd say, my Treo 650 (Palm OS 5) syncs perfectly with the official Mac software in Tiger.

If you like I can check it out in Leopard but I'm sure it will work.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Definitely Palm I'd say, my Treo 650 (Palm OS 5) syncs perfectly with the official Mac software in Tiger.

If you like I can check it out in Leopard but I'm sure it will work.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Me also: my Palm Centro works perfectly with Leopard (I use Missing Sync). Just turn off the phone. Since you are not going to be using the phone you should be able to pick one up on eBay cheaply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Cheers,
Gene

I suppose I understand your point, but if you are planning on something breaking after you buy it, I would question your purchase/care. Also, are the stores for competing Palms that more prominent?

Usually when I am uncertain, I think about my reasoning for making the purchase, and what I really need, in terms of features. Check out some amazon.com reviews from consumers too.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Me also: my Palm Centro works perfectly with Leopard (I use Missing Sync). Just turn off the phone. Since you are not going to be using the phone you should be able to pick one up on eBay cheaply.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the specs. As far as the phone goes, if it's GSM and not carrier dependent, I could probably have it activated and put my old Nokia in my socks drawer.

Also, will the Centro run Palm OS-3 apps?

Cheers,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dumb question but what do they mean by "Unlocked GSM"? Does that mean it's carrier independent?

Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disregard the above question, I found the answer...

LOL!
Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.