cameras..panasonic vs. canon

Reaction score
we're buying a new digital camera and we've brought it down to 2 choices..Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Digital ELPH (silver)
vs.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4S (silver)
any suggestions?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
in my limited experience with both brands of digital point and shoots (i have a lumix and my wife has a canon), my 5MP lumix dmc-tz1 takes a brilliant picture when there's a decent amount of light, but tends to get very noisy in low light conditions, the flash also seems a bit shallow. the color is usually spot on though.
her canon is only an older 3MP model, but almost always takes a respectable picture in a variety of lighting conditions.

your best bet would be to check out flickr - you can filter images by camera make/model, then you can see what other people have done with their cameras.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33ghz C2D 4gb Ram
the Canon you mention has IS. no brainer. Canon>Panasonic when it comes to camera's in general.

remember, don't worry about MP or screen size. it all falls down to picture quality.

most consumers make their decision solely based on screen size and could give a rats behind about picture quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
And as long as most realize digital zoom is a marketing gimmick, they'll have half the battle won.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, digital zoom, a small difference in MP -agreed, don't even consider those in your choice.

and image stabilization is typically kind of a joke in small point and shoots - a bit of a fisher-price knob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Image stabilization is more important in point and shoots because of the type of people who buy them don't necessarily know much about proper photography techniques. These people will use one hand to take a picture, or hold it away from their bodies when using two hands. Regardless, image stabilization helps quite a bit for people who don't know how to manually stabilize a picture.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks everybody it realy helps could i ask what "IS" is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Image Stabilization

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.