Oops! Battery Health Question

Reaction score
After stupidly spilling some water on the bottom right of my Macbook Pro keyboard, I powered down, took out the battery and dried it out for 24 hours.

Having booted successfully (phew) I am now concerned over my battery health, as reported by the iStat Dashboard Widget. You see, the widget reported my health at 62%! This is a sharp drop from the 85 or so % I had before the accident. Now, today, another day later, the battery health reads 55%!! Another 7% drop in one day.

Any speculation as to what is happening? For example, would a new battery fix my problem, or has something else gone screwy that is preventing my computer from taking advantage of my battery's potential? I'm sort of at a loss of what to do now. I am under AppleCare, but I imagine there would be no way to have my machine looked at without having my warranty voided.

Any help anyone had to offer would be most appreciated.

P.S. I am aware of the unforgivable stupidity that is spilling water of a Macbook Pro.

EDIT: Within the last 5 minutes, the health just jumped up to 56%? I wonder what is going on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I suspect this has nothing to do with the spillage; The battery health can bounce around as the battery gets towards the autumn of its life. As you said previously the health was 85%, I am assuming your battery is at least 12 - 18 months old. Try this:

Charge up the battery to about 95%, the remove the power and let it drop to 90%, then put it in again. I have done this before and seen the battery health go from 55% to 83% (which is where it has been for about a year). Mine's had 267 cycles.

The other thing to do is to recalibrate it. Run it down until it goes to sleep, then leave for 5 hours, until the snooze light goes out. Then remove the battery, and hold down the power for at least 10 seconds. Then charge to full.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey, thanks! That's a load off of my mind. I thought my computer was skyrocketing towards colossal failure.

I will do everything you suggested, thanks a bunch. My battery is exactly 12 Months Old.

If anyone else has any other insight, feel free to weigh in.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Crawled to 57% before trying anything. Off to do that now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.