Time Capsule Drive (Reserving Space for Storage) Solution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I figured I would let you guys know because as far as I could see nobody has explained how to setup your Time Machine HD (besides disassembling and partitioning) for storing data/anything else.

Just use disk utility (In Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) to create a new image, in my case I did a 100 GB disk image that I put into Time Capsule. Yes it takes a while to create the image so I recommend doing it overnight.

Then you can store what you want in your image/disk file, and have it automatically mount to your desktop, and not worry about those Time Machine backups taking up the whole drive. The disk image, while not being filled with 100 GB of files, reserves the space for the alloted amount.

This might have been something everyone has done before, and it might be old news, but I think its a pretty simple and effective solution to the problem of using time machine for storage.

Thanks,

Zach

-I'm still experimenting with the file structure and such to see which works alongside with Windows machines also, but for my MBP it seems to work great.

----Feel Free to add to this, I just started experimenting with this whole setup. Thanks.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Well I have put about 50 gig of videos files, and some photos, and it seems to be working great. I just set the disk image as a startup item so it will mount when I log in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.