Different Chips?

Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between the chips? At least I think they're chips... Peryn or something, and something with an M?
And talk of a new one coming out?

What is the performance differences between them?

I think I have the one that starts with a P, because I just bought it.
The new one coming out; will I notice the difference in performance?

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think you're referring to different generations of the Core CPU architecture and the Intel chipsets that support them.

The primary differences are related to performance - with each new chipset and CPU comes incremental performance improvements. The current crop of Intel Macs use the Penryn Core 2 Duo CPUs and the Santa Rosa chipset. The next generation are expected to use the Montevina chipset.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ohh. Ok.
So how much of a difference is there between the Santa Rosa and the Montevina chipset?

I use my macbook for schoolwork, music, photos, internet, and occasional photo and audio editing.
Would I notice a difference?
Am I going to wish I had waited?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ohh. Ok.
So how much of a difference is there between the Santa Rosa and the Montevina chipset?

Hard to say as the Montevina chipset hasn't been released yet. As I understand it, it was delayed. Performance differences should be minor.

I use my macbook for schoolwork, music, photos, internet, and occasional photo and audio editing.
Would I notice a difference?

Probably not. The most substantial differences would be noticeable in doing CPU intensive tasks like video rendering and such. Your requirements seem pretty basic.

Am I going to wish I had waited?

Buy the machine you need when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs long after an updated model is released. If you're always waiting for the next big thing on the horizon, you'll be waiting forever.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Right now little is known about the Montevina chipset, but sometimes Anandtech has previews of the new Chipsets and CPU's way before they are released. Anand can't disclose much since he is under NDA, but his last preview of the new Intel chipset made my jaw drop! :D

For what you are doing with your system, I really doubt you will notice much difference. And remember, there will be an even newer CPU and after that another newer one. One can't wait forever. The current Macs will do everything you need right now. I would not wait, but just buy now. It will be fine for a long time to come.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.