• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Activation Fees For Cellphones

JRV

Reaction score
Hi. Does everyone here pay that bogus activation fee when you buy a new phone with your cellphone company? I think I heard someone say you can tell them you don't want to pay it and they let it slide. Is that true?

The argument is why should I have to pay for the phone and agree to a service contract and on top of all that you charge me to turn the phone on.

I'm due for a new phone and will likely need a new service plan so I'm asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I've never heard anything about that but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask. If they won't waive the fee, you should pay it in nickels and dimes to teach them a lesson.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I refused to pay it with AT&T last time I upgraded and they waived it.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
I refused to pay it with AT&T last time I upgraded and they waived it.

Yeah I thought I read something about activation fees in the paper. It's a total joke that they charge you to turn the phone on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I've never come across that fee, but I find with a lot of services (phone, TV, gym etc.), you can usually get a better deal than advertised.

If they want to tie you down to a contract, you can usually get a couple freebies thrown in/fees waived if you insist that you're not going to sign-up otherwise.

Once the contracts ended you can usually get a few months reduced cost or some other "incentives" to stick with them if you tell them you're wanting to cancel the service.

Doesn't always work (like if you're already taking advantage of other promotions), but it never hurts to ask. If you get turned down, don't just sign up anyway, try talking to someone else... they might be more accommodating.

Also, if you're flying alone, always be nice and chatty with the check-in girl/guy, and always ask if there's any 1st class seats going spare and if you can get a free/heavily reduced cost upgrade :)

Oh, and always find something to complain about in a hotel, you're bound to get something out of it.

These companies are out to take as much money off you as possible, so you might as well get everything you can from them while they do it. You don't ask, you don't get.

PS. Try not to put too much pressure on independently owned places; they usually struggle as it is, and will probably offer you better service anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.