Open Letter To Steve Jobs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Has anyone else seen this?

OPEN LETTER TO STEVE JOBS

Is it just me or does this strike you as incredibly stupid?

I mean, you wouldn't ask Sony, Nokia, Samsung, LG or any other manufacturer of mobile handsets to get involved in how much carriers decide to charge for their monthly plans because that would be ridiculous.

Besides which, how powerful to they believe Steve is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sounds like someone needs to dial whine-one-one and get the Whaaaaambulance on the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Happening everywhere! Here in Australia Optus and Vodafone iPhone sellers, and others such as Ericsson are startin g identical petitions. Boy some of them must be scared after running smear campaigns.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ultimately, it's just going to come down to how well it sells in those markets. I'd imagine if the pent up excitement turns into lackluster sales upon release, Apple and their respective vendors will get the hint and make some changes. Look at the iPhone's initial launch in the US. It was out for just a couple of months when they dropped the price by a third (as I recall).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apparently it has escaped these people that if you don't like the terms of service, you don't HAVE to by an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Just be glad that it's brought to Jobs' attention, his device is supposed to change the world, not only change the US. If that communications company is gonna charge "unfair" rates then that might stunt Jobs' product. And if he thinks that those rates will do that then he has the ability to really hurt that company. That company knows that ppl are itching to get the iPhone and if Jobs' pulls the plug on them, they could lose a sum of money. Therefore, Jobs > Rogers Communications.

z4k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook 2GB of Ram!
The Service Providers POV is " You want the iPhone 3G" You pay the rates. It's easy. For those 6000 that sign the petition how many do you think will stick to it? How many others will pay what the provider asks not caring about a petition...

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just be glad that it's brought to Jobs' attention, his device is supposed to change the world, not only change the US. If that communications company is gonna charge "unfair" rates then that might stunt Jobs' product. And if he thinks that those rates will do that then he has the ability to really hurt that company. That company knows that ppl are itching to get the iPhone and if Jobs' pulls the plug on them, they could lose a sum of money. Therefore, Jobs > Rogers Communications.

That's a fair point INTEL (can I call you INTEL?) but what what most people are forgetting to realise is that all of the carriers in the world existed and have been making a shed load of money well before Apple introduced the iPhone to the market.

For however many people will get or want the iPhone there will be and are several times as many people happy with other handsets. Without the iPhone the mobile communications market will continue to thrive as it has done so since mobile phones were brought to the mass-consumer.

Whether the iPhone sells successfully or not, or even if 'Jobs' pulls the plug on them', the carriers' businesses aren't really affected. If someone wants/needs a phone they will get a phone, iPhone or not, the carriers still get to sell their monthly plans and they still make money.

Sure they would see an increase in profits with the iPhone, but without it they certainly wouldn't incur any losses. Unless the carriers have to pay Apple for the handsets in bulk prior to selling them on. In which case, if they are charging outrageous prices for their monthly plans and the iPhones aren't selling, it's in their own interests to lower their prices.

All of these factors don't really have anything to do with Apple directly.

Which brings me back to my original point that complaining to the handset makers about extortionate carrier charges is pointless and that Steve doesn't have any great power in this particular market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
OH MY GOD!

They're having to pay the same rates as the British. Big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
They need to stop complaining about the prices and either get the phone or look for an alternative. If you consider how many iPhones were sold when it first came out, 6,000 people really doesnt matter to Mr. Steve Jobs.

Just my 2 cents. =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Apparently it has escaped these people that if you don't like the terms of service, you don't HAVE to by an iPhone.

Exactly. i agree 110%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
That's a fair point INTEL (can I call you INTEL?) but what what most people are forgetting to realise is that all of the carriers in the world existed and have been making a shed load of money well before Apple introduced the iPhone to the market.

For however many people will get or want the iPhone there will be and are several times as many people happy with other handsets. Without the iPhone the mobile communications market will continue to thrive as it has done so since mobile phones were brought to the mass-consumer.

Whether the iPhone sells successfully or not, or even if 'Jobs' pulls the plug on them', the carriers' businesses aren't really affected. If someone wants/needs a phone they will get a phone, iPhone or not, the carriers still get to sell their monthly plans and they still make money.

Sure they would see an increase in profits with the iPhone, but without it they certainly wouldn't incur any losses. Unless the carriers have to pay Apple for the handsets in bulk prior to selling them on. In which case, if they are charging outrageous prices for their monthly plans and the iPhones aren't selling, it's in their own interests to lower their prices.

All of these factors don't really have anything to do with Apple directly.

Which brings me back to my original point that complaining to the handset makers about extortionate carrier charges is pointless and that Steve doesn't have any great power in this particular market.

Just another thing, if Jobs sees that it is a problem then he might be able to pull strings on the company's investors. If you feel a company's investors with doubt then you've just about ruined that company. And investors are not heartless, penny-pinching ppl, they do have morals.

Even if a said market will still exist without the iPhone, it won't eliminate the demand for the device. If a company is gonna dive into the iPhone market, they'd better please their customers. Once again, the investors are not heartless and they're not going to spring for something that seems like it might lose money. There are so many factors that can play against the company...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Because of lowered prices, more people can get it now. The thought of buying a $500 phone was crushing to most. out of the nearly thousand kids in my high school, i would say the kids who had an iPhone would be 1 out of every 45. Now, I would say it would be 25 of every 45 with the 3G. And i go to a private catholic school, where tuition is around 9K/year. a lot of rich people, to be honest.

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When this stupid exclusivity nonsense has run it's course, everything will be better. By that time the iPhone should be even better.

I suppose if you don't need it and just want it, you should wait a couple of years.

At least here in the UK we have the option of buying it without a contract, with the hope that someone will figure out how to jailbreak it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When this stupid exclusivity nonsense has run it's course, everything will be better. By that time the iPhone should be even better.

I suppose if you don't need it and just want it, you should wait a couple of years.

At least here in the UK we have the option of buying it without a contract, with the hope that someone will figure out how to jailbreak it.

Well, i think we can buy it without a contract, too :p I don't know though, my friend has one, but they switched form Verizon to AT&T, so he was already covered. Although, when he gets his 3G, he will be selling his iPhone to me for about $100, and I'm just going to unlock and jailbreak it, because my cell provider is T-Mobile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
So, how is it Steve Job's problem that Rogers Communication charges "too much" for their phone services. I thought he worked for Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.