Wasssup!? New User from Southern CA

Reaction score
Hi there everybody,

I'm a new user. My name is Garrett and I'm 21 years old. I run a 24 in. iMac. Apple rules! (I know I sound corny, but meh, whatevs)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Welcome!! What part of SoCal are you from?

OP
gleyenaar
Reaction score
I'm from Mission Viejo. Although I am gearing up to move to Santa Monica so I can attend SMC in the fall. What about you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I live in the Carson/San Pedro area :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hi there everybody,

I'm a new user. My name is Garrett and I'm 21 years old. I run a 24 in. iMac. Apple rules! (I know I sound corny, but meh, whatevs)

Welcome to Mac Forums! I am from southern california. Lived there for many years before I moved up here to Central Calif. I am from the Pasadena area.

Anyway, Welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
Welcome - I too am new to these forums and have just made the switch to Mac. How are you doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Welcome!! I'm from Yorba Linda myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Hello from Santa Monica. The wife and I recently moved back home from Chicago. I grew up in Montecito, and the wife is originally from Santa Monica.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I was born in SoCal and I visit regularly. What are you studying in school?

OP
gleyenaar
Reaction score
I was born in SoCal and I visit regularly. What are you studying in school?

Well, I won't be studying in order to get my degree or anything like that. I just want to take the classes that I want to take, which would be like Film Production, Web Design, Graphic Design, all so that I can meet people who share similar interests.

Plus, I want to party. ;D

OP
gleyenaar
Reaction score
Hello from Santa Monica. The wife and I recently moved back home from Chicago. I grew up in Montecito, and the wife is originally from Santa Monica.

I'll be going to SMC soon! How do you like Santa Monica?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be going to SMC soon! How do you like Santa Monica?

I have always liked Santa Monica. I met my wife in SM while attending The Art Institute of California - LA (I have a B.S. Degree in Digital Filmmaking & Video Production). Which reminds me, have you ever checked into the Art Institute for studies? Of course AI isn't known as a party school. On the other hand,SM college isn't really known for film production, however their Design programs in the Entertainment Arts are exceptional. And of course SM would be an excellent start if you were to eventually transfer to UCLA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Garrett, nice to have you here. And a Californian, yet...

I spent most of my youth in San Diego - got there in 1943 (when I was 11)!! Wow, that's a long time ago, isn't it? :) Anyhoo, I left there in 1950 to go to college and then into service, now live in Maryland where my I met my wife and we returned after I retired from USAF in 1975.

I have an older brother who still lives in Ramona, CA, lovely little town, and I visit him there every 3 or 4 years. I'm always happy to go back "home."

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noels, after reading your post, I cannot help but think of the stories I've grown up with in a family who has been here since 1916. I've often wondered what it must have been like to live along the left coast during the early years of the last century.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noels, after reading your post, I cannot help but think of the stories I've grown up with in a family who has been here since 1916. I've often wondered what it must have been like to live along the left coast during the early years of the last century.

dood,

I can't go back that far :) but I got to San Diego when WWII was in full swing and everyone had to keep their shades drawn at night for fear of Japanese submarines seeing the light. The town was filled with Sailors and Marines ready to go to war. We had barrage balloons all over the city and there was netting over all the roads near the Consolidated aircraft plant where they built B-24's day and night. I watched P38's dog fight over the skies all the time and that's when I decided that's what I wanted to do, too, but I was still too young then. But I could buy 2 great hamburgers and a malted milk shake for lunch for 75 cents!! And a city-wide bus and trolley pass for a week was also $1.00, so I traveled San Diego high and low during the summers off from school. I also used to spend days roaming the San Diego Zoo (now World famous) for a Quarter... And we had lovely, clean beaches on the Coast where swimming was a joy (and free). But we had to sacrifice during that war, too, not like Iraq... gas was cheap but you couldn't buy much - it was rationed, like 10 gallons a month as I recall unless you were an emergency worker (lots of them :)) No butter, little real meat available and chocolate was unheard of... Fabrics were scarce and families who were still together had hard times getting things they needed (but most of the men were gone off to war). But the defense industry kept lots of folks going and well paid! I've forgotten a lot, but I remember all the good things...

San Diego has grown through the years, but I still love that town! It's too bad it's so expensive living there now and that wild fires have taken over the country sides. I envy those of you who live there and wish it were me :)

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but dood, you got me going... And Garrett, just interjecting a little personal history about California...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noels, in no way did you highjack this thread. As a matter of fact, other's should appreciate your shared stories as much as I do. Thanks.

As for SoCal, it may no longer be paradise, but it is home. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noels, in no way did you highjack this thread. As a matter of fact, other's should appreciate your shared stories as much as I do. Thanks.

As for SoCal, it may no longer be paradise, but it is home. ;)

My pleasure, dood!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.