iPod in my car?

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about the best way to play my iPod in my car; I'm kind of tired of using headphones while driving (I have to crank it up, can't open window, etc.). So what other options do I have?

I've considered FM transmitters, but they don't always seem to work well. Considering that you could easily drop $50 on a decent FM transmitter, why not just go with a car stereo with an AUX input right on the front of the stereo. Are there any downsides to this? They have car stereos at Wal-Mart (and other places, I assume) with AUX inputs for as little as $70. I can probably snag one off of eBay for even cheaper.

So are there any downsides to going this route? Obviously, they'll probably be a pain to install, but how do they work with an iPod (Touch)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You need an iPod integration unit. They're the best possible solution in a car. What make, model and year is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I have an Aux port on my radio that I use for my iPhone. Works great for me.
I also found this link that seems interesting. (for cwa107's idea)
http://www.icarkits.com/

OP
A
Reaction score
You need an iPod integration unit. They're the best possible solution in a car. What make, model and year is it?

Well, I'm not in need of the best possible solution. I just need something so I don't have to use headphones when driving.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm not in need of the best possible solution. I just need something so I don't have to use headphones when driving.

I have a DICE iPod integration unit for my Honda. It allows me to treat my iPod as though it were an XM Satellite Radio or a factory CD changer (two different modes of operation). So, I can change tracks, play playlists, read all of the text right on my stereo - and the best part of all, hide my iPod out of sight while still being able to enjoy it. For $120, I'm quite pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone. DICE isn't the only company that makes them though, there are dozens of other third party solutions that make it easy to connect your iPod directly to your factory stereo.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. Though, I don't see how that'd be any better than using the AUX in on a stereo. Plus, for the same price, I could get a whole new (better) stereo.

My only concern with going that route is that you now have a shiny new aftermarket radio, which is appealing to thieves. Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a factory stereo that is only compatible with my car - particularly if you park in crime-prone areas.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have a DICE iPod integration unit for my Honda. It allows me to treat my iPod as though it were an XM Satellite Radio or a factory CD changer (two different modes of operation). So, I can change tracks, play playlists, read all of the text right on my stereo - and the best part of all, hide my iPod out of sight while still being able to enjoy it. For $120, I'm quite pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone. DICE isn't the only company that makes them though, there are dozens of other third party solutions that make it easy to connect your iPod directly to your factory stereo.

That DICE won't work with my car. I checked the list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I installed this in my car. It has a specially designed iPod cable. I control everything through the head unit, not the iPod. It's pretty cool. Sounds great too. I had an FM transmitter and couldn't stand it.
The only downside to the AUX input is the inability to also charge the iPod. With the Alpine unit I got, it charges so I can keep the album cover glowing or use the maps feature without worrying about the thing dying on a long trip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I got an integration cord made specifically for my car's factory unit. There are tons of companies making these for pretty much every car on the road. Though, they are a little more expensive because you can control your iPod/iPhone from your head unit and keep it charged. The downside with mine is that it only recognizes 10 playlists max.

The solution to plug into your FM antenna looks good, but you loose the ability to listen to the radio. It may be a minor loss if you can listen to your favorite music anyway. I think I'm going to pick one of those up for my '65 Mustang since it's an original-styled unit with no other inputs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got an integration cord made specifically for my car's factory unit. There are tons of companies making these for pretty much every car on the road. Though, they are a little more expensive because you can control your iPod/iPhone from your head unit and keep it charged. The downside with mine is that it only recognizes 10 playlists max.

The solution to plug into your FM antenna looks good, but you loose the ability to listen to the radio. It may be a minor loss if you can listen to your favorite music anyway. I think I'm going to pick one of those up for my '65 Mustang since it's an original-styled unit with no other inputs.

I used to have a wired FM modulator in a former vehicle and it allowed for a passthrough for the factory antenna. You could switch it on and off via a switch mounted somewhere on the dash.

Not to get too far OT, but I think I saw a company (I want to say Custom Autosound) that makes a drop-in replacement for early Mustangs and a few other popular classic cars that has built-in iPod integration. I'm sure it's not cheap, but something to think about.

OP
A
Reaction score
My car is a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier. I'll look into the wired FM thing. I've decided to forgo getting a new stereo; I'd need a special harness adapter thing, which would end up running me at least $170 with a lower end stereo, plus all of the time to install.

Anyone know anything about AUX input adapters? Apparently it somehow would hook up to my stereo through CD changer or something. Would this mean that I can no longer play CD's?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tR00O08SLeN/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=469GM12AX2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Kudos to whoever posted the iCarKits link... I am buying one of the Neo Pro Link kits, I had been using a crappy Belkin FM Modulator. This is about the only other option for my Jeep. The 2006+ models have the auxiliary input on the stock head unit, but mine's a 2005. I don't wanna change the head unit, so this seems to be a decent option.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My car is a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier. I'll look into the wired FM thing. I've decided to forgo getting a new stereo; I'd need a special harness adapter thing, which would end up running me at least $170 with a lower end stereo, plus all of the time to install.

Anyone know anything about AUX input adapters? Apparently it somehow would hook up to my stereo through CD changer or something. Would this mean that I can no longer play CD's?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tR00O08SLeN/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=469GM12AX2

AUX input adapters connect in the same way an iPod integration adapter would - through your factory stereo's CD changer port (assuming it has one). In your case, I don't believe it does as all of the major companies (DICE, SoundGate, Blitzsafe) don't seem to have adapters of any kind for any GM vehicle prior to 2003.

The wired FM modulator is probably your best bet.

OP
A
Reaction score
AUX input adapters connect in the same way an iPod integration adapter would - through your factory stereo's CD changer port (assuming it has one). In your case, I don't believe it does as all of the major companies (DICE, SoundGate, Blitzsafe) don't seem to have adapters of any kind for any GM vehicle prior to 2003.

The wired FM modulator is probably your best bet.

Yep. That's what I've concluded after researching for hours now. It seems that short of installing an aftermarket stereo (plus the $80 adapter for my car), this is the only option. I'll think about getting this one. Though, there are quite a few reviews complaining about sound quality. I'm not hardcore audiophile, but I'd say I'm much more audiophilic than the average person (I've played guitar for years, after all).

But it should beat having to wear headphones while driving.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=fm+modulator&i=142FMMOD01

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. That's what I've concluded after researching for hours now. It seems that short of installing an aftermarket stereo (plus the $80 adapter for my car), this is the only option. I'll think about getting this one. Though, there are quite a few reviews complaining about sound quality. I'm not hardcore audiophile, but I'd say I'm much more audiophilic than the average person (I've played guitar for years, after all).

But it should beat having to wear headphones while driving.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=fm+modulator&i=142FMMOD01

Yeah, don't expect CD quality - it will be on par with a good FM radio station. The biggest difference between these and the wireless FM modulators is that you won't encounter interference from outside sources (i.e. other drivers with FM modulators and radio stations).

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah, don't expect CD quality - it will be on par with a good FM radio station. The biggest difference between these and the wireless FM modulators is that you won't encounter interference from outside sources (i.e. other drivers with FM modulators and radio stations).

Cool. I'm heavily considering this. Although, I found the adapter harness thing for my car at Wal-Mart for $38 instead of $80 at Crutchfield. So, now in the back of my mind I'm considering just going for a whole new aftermarket stereo. Though, it'd be about $130 (plus taxes) for that rather than $30 (plus shipping) for the FM modulator. Would the difference in audio quality be worth $100?

Though, to be honest, the only thing I've ever really listened to in my car has been podcasts, which really don't matter in terms of sound quality. I have most of the songs on my iPod on CD's, and I could always just burn the ones that I only have in mp3/4 format (I think).

I've got some contemplating to do.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. I'm heavily considering this. Although, I found the adapter harness thing for my car at Wal-Mart for $38 instead of $80 at Crutchfield. So, now in the back of my mind I'm considering just going for a whole new aftermarket stereo. Though, it'd be about $130 (plus taxes) for that rather than $30 (plus shipping) for the FM modulator. Would the difference in audio quality be worth $100?

To me, yes - but you may feel differently. For me, quality is a really big deal, because the iPod is all I listen to in the car. I usually put it on shuffle and it's like having my own radio station with only songs that I like ;)

Though, to be honest, the only thing I've ever really listened to in my car has been podcasts, which really don't matter in terms of sound quality. I have most of the songs on my iPod on CD's, and I could always just burn the ones that I only have in mp3/4 format (I think).

I've got some contemplating to do.

Yeah, if all you listen to are podcasts, then just go with the FM modulator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.