iPod in my car?

OP
A
Reaction score
To me, yes - but you may feel differently. For me, quality is a really big deal, because the iPod is all I listen to in the car. I usually put it on shuffle and it's like having my own radio station with only songs that I like ;)

Yeah, if all you listen to are podcasts, then just go with the FM modulator.

I went ahead with the FM modulator from Crutchfield. Although, upon ordering it, I discovered that I need $30 worth of antenna adapters. That really closed the gap in pricing. Oh well.

Thanks for all of the help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I went ahead with the FM modulator from Crutchfield. Although, upon ordering it, I discovered that I need $30 worth of antenna adapters. That really closed the gap in pricing. Oh well.

Thanks for all of the help.

I think GM vehicles use an odd antenna connector. I can't believe they charge that much for adapters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I used to have a wired FM modulator in a former vehicle and it allowed for a passthrough for the factory antenna. You could switch it on and off via a switch mounted somewhere on the dash.

Not to get too far OT, but I think I saw a company (I want to say Custom Autosound) that makes a drop-in replacement for early Mustangs and a few other popular classic cars that has built-in iPod integration. I'm sure it's not cheap, but something to think about.

Do you remember the brand name of the modulator you had? I would like to get one. Thanks for the head's up on Custom Autosound, but I actually already have one of their units with a VD changer in the trunk. The iPod connector doesn't work with the old model I have. Plus their radios are junk anyway. They focus on making them look original, but they must use the cheapest components in the world.

Reaction score
Dice & Dension

I have had both the Dice RDS FM and the Gateway 100 for different cars.

When i had my vauxhall i had the Dice RDS FM, i must admit i thought it was very good, as it charged my ipod as well as display the text info on my headunit (you dont get that from AUX Link) so in my opinion it was worth it. you can also get the dension FM that is £10 cheaper
http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iPod_Car_Kit/Universal_FM_Modulator

Then when i changed to my audi i got the Dension gateway 300, It is a fully integrated kit that charges ipod and can control music from the steering controls as well as having a USB connection for my flash drive. EXTREMELY happy with this kit..... Access to over 1000's of tracks

I got them both from here
www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk

Hope this helps with your selection of kits :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
I plug mine into one of those cassette affairs that used to come with Sony Discman's labelled as a Car kit.

Works a treat BUT is another loose wire in the car.

Reaction score
I came to this thread looking for advice on how to hard wire my iPod because I'm sick of my FM thingy (I'm a total tech-novice, but like nice stuff, so doun't laugh at my lack of proper lingo!).

I was unhappy with the price of all the ones listed here, and found these GROM kits for $79.99.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I came to this thread looking for advice on how to hard wire my iPod because I'm sick of my FM thingy (I'm a total tech-novice, but like nice stuff, so doun't laugh at my lack of proper lingo!).

I was unhappy with the price of all the ones listed here, and found these GROM kits for $79.99.

What vehicle model is it? $79 really isn't bad, but I've never heard of this manufacturer before.

Reaction score
I have a Toyota, but from the looks of this website and ebay, all models are only $79...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.