iPhone needs to be replaced should If I wait until the 11th think I can get a 3G

Z&J

Reaction score
Have the 16 and it keeps freezing up on me. Screen goes black and I can hear something is going on but I can't see anything or turn it off. Finally called and as soon as I gave them my SN they told me no restore will fix my problem. I need a new phone (got it end of Feb) They said I can go into a store anytime for a replacement but I was wondering if I should wait 2 weeks until the new phone comes out so I can get the 3g?

Thoughts? Get the new phone now or wait?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
Even if you wait until the 3G iPhone is released, Apple will still most likely replace your phone with the old model.

For you to upgrade to the new 3G model, I think you would need to sign a new contract with the higher monthly price.

OP
Z

Z&J

Reaction score
Thanks Big Mike! In that case I should do it now. Appreciate your comments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is actually an interesting question. With Apple no longer making the original iPhone, what would happen were you to require a replacement in a few months when supply of the original iPhone has been depleted? Do you get forced to pay the extra monthly charge because they would swap it with the new 3G iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
If you need a replacement, you will get the same model as you have now. Once the original iPhone is no longer supported (the last AppleCare sold runs out) you will have to buy a new 3G iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So, do you think Apple will keep a few crates of the first gen in storage to replace the first gen phones out there under warranty? I think I've heard of people needing other products replaced and got the new versions because the old were no longer available.

If they have to give you a 3G, I imagine you'll have to pay for the new rate plan and Apple will simply say that it's not up to them. Maybe if you complain to AT&T enough and threaten to take you business elsewhere they'll take $10 off your bill for a year or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yea, they probably have lots of refurbs to give out as a replacement. I got mine swapped no problem when the new supply ran out awhile ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
So, do you think Apple will keep a few crates of the first gen in storage to replace the first gen phones out there under warranty? I think I've heard of people needing other products replaced and got the new versions because the old were no longer available.

They use referbs, any phone that they get that is "broken" they take and fix and eventually that phone will make its way to becoming a replacement. So even though they aren't making any new iPhones they will still have replacements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.