My speakers are picking up radio stations!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb
Okay so I have external speakers plugged into my macbook, and they're picking up radio stations and playing them out. It's very quiet but I can't leave the speakers on or you can hear it when you don't have itunes going. is there any way to stop this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
o8strider8o,

Other than turning your speakers off, I don't think so... the speakers apparently aren't sufficiently shielded from outside rf signals and that's why you're getting the radio stations. It's a function of your proximity to the stations and their signal strength.

You could try your Sound Preferences and turn the Line-in input down some and see how that affects the signals...

Noel

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any way to shield them with say... aluminum foil or something on the back or is that the worst idea ever?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm trying to avoid money. is there a quick fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Might try a Ground-Loop Isolator, but I' not sure its going to solve your problem. What speakers do you have?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have Cyber Acoustics CA2015 2.0 Computer Speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
According to The Unofficial Apple Weblog you can use a Red Bull can (or in your case, most probably several Red Bull cans) to shield electronics from radio interference.

Of course, most any can, such as a US$.59 can of RC Cola would work. But whatever floats the boat.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
would i put them around just the speakers?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Okay so I have external speakers plugged into my macbook, and they're picking up radio stations and playing them out. It's very quiet but I can't leave the speakers on or you can hear it when you don't have itunes going. is there any way to stop this?

I had an old pair of Radio Shack external speakers that did that as well. Apparently, they weren't very well shielded. Just swapping them out for a better pair of speakers did the trick in my case.

Reaction score
My cell phone causes my cheap ($20) computer speakers to go absolutely crazy if I use it near the computer. The only thing I found that works is to turn them off. I've never had any issues with radio stations thankfully. As others mentioned, it is likely your speakers are just poorly sheilded. I know mine are!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB C2D 2.16, 3gb Ram, 250gb hd, 10.5.3
When I was still using my landline telephone, back in the day, it picked up a radio station that was about half a mile away. A telephone technician came in and installed some sort of filter that cleans up the signal. You may want to look at those little magnetic noise reducers that come on the cable on most laptop power bricks? Not sure if it's the same thing but worth a try if you have one handy.

Reaction score
This problem happens a lot w/ unshielded electronics. First take the speaker apart and then go to the kitchen and get some aluminium foil. Use it to line the inside of the speaker enclosure. When putting it back together be very careful and make sure that the foil you installed does not act as a path for electricity, otherwise you could hurt yourself or your equipment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.