Window apps installed in Boot Camp available in Fusion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
Hi, my iMac shipped out today and I'm a long time Windows user, switching over. I've been trying to learn what I can before my computer arrives.

I have a number of windows apps I will still need to run. I've already decided I want to install Vista via Boot Camp so I have a full fledged windows box in case something goes wrong with my virtual machine setup.

I'm going to use VMware Fusion for my virtual machine. If I install my windows applications in boot camp, then set up Fusion, will it use my applications that way, or will I also have to install them all again via Fusion?

I know that it will find Vista via my boot camp install, and that I should wait to activate Vista until I have the VM mode setup as well, but I'm totally unclear about windows applications.

I hope that was clear as mud;D and appreciate any guidance.
CJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
cjtinkle,

Welcome to the Mac-Forums!

I use Parallels, but I'm sure Fusion would work the same way as Parallels. You can import Vista from Boot Camp after you install Fusion, and I believe the apps would come along since they're in the same partition. If you have a concern about the apps, just wait until you get Fusion set up - it doesn't take any longer to set up Fusion than installing any other app...

Since you don't have your iMac yet, now is the time to get your copy of Fusion, then you can set it up at the same time you set up Boot Camp. Then you can install your apps immediately after you import Vista into Fusion.

You're right about waiting to activate your copy of Vista. If you activate it in Boot Camp, you'll just have to activate it again when you import it into Fusion.

Don't forget to print, read and use a copy of the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide before you use Boot Camp to install Vista. You'll find it in your Applications/Utility folder on the opening page of the Boot Camp Assistant.app

Good luck and congrats on your new iMac. You're going to love it,

Noel

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
Thank you Noel.
I have my copy of Fusion here already, along with the Boot Camp installation manual already printed out, and my copy of "Switching to the Mac" will be here Monday. :D

I figured on giving myself a week "alone" with Leopard before I install anything, then I'll do Boot Camp and Fusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Thank you Noel.
I have my copy of Fusion here already, along with the Boot Camp installation manual already printed out, and my copy of "Switching to the Mac" will be here Monday. :D

I figured on giving myself a week "alone" with Leopard before I install anything, then I'll do Boot Camp and Fusion.
Fusion will automatically detect your bootcamp partition and allow you to boot it...

make sure to install VMware tools when you boot your bootcamp partition in Fusion... It should automatically ask you...

Reaction score
Some advice from one who has been there - unless you have a need to run Windows natively, just skip boot camp. So much more can go wrong when trying to do boot camp than a pure fusion install. My advice: install fusion, install Windows within Fusion, and you're good to go. Only use a Boot camp partition if you need that capability. I started that way (boot camp then fusion using that partition), and within a couple days, went ahead and deleted the boot camp partition. You simply cannot screw up your machine with Fusion, but you can make a mess with boot camp (witness all the posts asking for partition help).

Just a thought and best of luck.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
This is so confusing... LOL I've been reading forums for days now trying to understand the best method. Initially I wanted to go with Parallels, as I like it's feature set better, but Fusion seems to have the popular vote for performance and stability.

Likewise, I thought I understood that the safest and most stable route of running Windows was via a Boot Camp installation, then let Fusion find it in VM mode.

Some advice from one who has been there - unless you have a need to run Windows natively, just skip boot camp. So much more can go wrong when trying to do boot camp than a pure fusion install. My advice: install fusion, install Windows within Fusion, and you're good to go. Only use a Boot camp partition if you need that capability. I started that way (boot camp then fusion using that partition), and within a couple days, went ahead and deleted the boot camp partition. You simply cannot screw up your machine with Fusion, but you can make a mess with boot camp (witness all the posts asking for partition help).

Just a thought and best of luck.

Reaction score
IMJ a pure fusion/parallels install is the most stable and easiest to work with. If you don't have a need to run windows natively, that is. But that's just one man's opinion ... lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cjtinkle,

I initially installed my copy of XP in Boot Camp because I wasn't sure I wanted to use a VM and I had heard that XP ran faster (natively) in Boot Camp. I used it that way for 2-3 weeks and found I didn't like to have to re-boot to go between OS X and XP. That's when I decided to install Parallels, which, when I got it, was supposedly a better VM.

I think either VM will serve you well. If you initially install Windows in Boot Camp and then import it into a VM, you can't use it in Boot Camp any more anyhow, so there isn't any latent advantage to installing Windows into Boot Camp if you plan to use it in a VM...

I've been quite happy with Parallels. It's stable and I particularly like the Convergence feature, where I can have both OSes on the desktop at the same time with direct interaction between them.

I'm sure you'll be happy whichever VM you decide to use. And enjoy your new iMac.

Noel

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
Thank you Noels, it should arrive tomorrow before noon, I can't wait to get started!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Noels, it should arrive tomorrow before noon, I can't wait to get started!

cjtinkle, You're welcome, hope I helped... Noel

Reaction score
One quick note to Noel's post: if you have XP in a VM, you can still always reboot into Windows. You can use it both ways. But as indicated above, I don't think that is particularly relevant or simple unless you have a real need to run windows natively.

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
Yes, my intent was to use it both ways. Really, the only reason I see needing the Boot Camp installing is for stability. I'm a bit concerned that the VM mode might run into problems, and then I'd be in a world of hurt! :Oops:

Reaction score
I can assure you that the VM is as stable as it gets. has a built in backup feature (called "snapshot") - which, by the way, is not available for a VM from a boot camp partition. If things go bumpy on your Boot Camp installation you are in worse shape than with Fusion because its a simple matter either to erase the VM and start over or to use a prior snapshot. A pure Fusion install is much simpler to use than the partitioned variety. Your concerns about stability are simply not founded. Not that it matters much but if you read the posts about the issues people have running windows via boot camp then compare that to parallels or fusion VMs, you will see that everything runs very smoothly indeed. Good luck.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
Well SammySlim, I think you've persuaded me over! My iMac delivery was rescheduled for tomorrow (darn it) but that's just given me more time to read and study, and I came to the conclusion this morning that I really don't need Boot Camp. I think I'll go for the pure VM mode!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One quick note to Noel's post: if you have XP in a VM, you can still always reboot into Windows. You can use it both ways. But as indicated above, I don't think that is particularly relevant or simple unless you have a real need to run windows natively.

Cheers

Sammy,

As I wrote above, I imported XP into Parallels and said you couldn't use it both in Parallels and Boot Camp, it was one or the other...

Based on what you said in the quote, I tried to use the Boot Camp version of XP tonight and I couldn't start it because MS said that copy needed to be activated to be used. I had already activated it in Parallels, so can't also activate it in Boot camp. Also, I had a very difficult time getting out of the XP/activate screen. I force shut the computer down and used my OS X disc to get back into OS X...

So unless you want to activate every time you change methods, you can only use Windows one way, either Boot Camp or a VM, but not both.

Noel

Reaction score
You can use Windows natively and in a VM. You should activate it once when you install it using Boot Camp and once again when you start your VM. After that it should be fine and not ask you to activate again.

I use Windows XP natively and in OS X using Fusion. One XP license. At worst you will have to call MS if you've activated too many times. Inconvenient but they didn't give me any trouble.

Of course if you are just going the VM-only route you will just activate once and be done with it. Certainly the easiest route if you don't need to run Windows natively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
It's really Important to do the steps in this order or activation gets screen up in the virtual machine.

-Install Windows Via Boot Camp
-Activate
-Install VMWare Fusion
-Activate again in VMWare Fusion.

Make sure you activate before you do pretty much anything in either the BC partition or VM, for example, Vista's update to SP1 will not allow you to activate the Virtual Machine, but if you activate the VM then update to SP1 its fine. Confusing but it pays off to do the steps right the first time, because I learned the hard way as usual, all is good now!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
I've had Fusion installed (I went with the pure virtual machine instead of using a Boot Camp partition), with Vista Business, and my 4 necessary windows programs, and I have to say it's just awesome! I allotted Vista 2 gigs of my 4 gigs of ram (my sewing software is more greedy than Photoshop) and it runs beautifully.

I am loving my new iMac, it runs SO fast and it's absolutely quiet! :D

zup

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a new Mac user. My mac is MBP 17", 2,5, 4GB of ram.
I need AutoCad for my work.
Installed Parallels with winxp and acad 2009 but had a lot of troubles with mouse and function keys.
Instaled xp in bootcamp. Acad work great now (both mouse and function keys), BUT I dont like to have two systems and boot every time I need Acad or take a break and go to OSX...

Ive read something that parallels or VMWare can run xp and applications from bootcamp XP, but I was unable to install VM from bootcamp even in VMWare even in Parallels.

I would like to do this, so I can do something quick (print or view files in acad) but not boot. I assume I will have troubles with mouse again in VMW or Parallels, but it is just for quick jobs. And dont want to have two xp+two acad installed, one in bootcamp one in parallels.

my bootcamp partition is ntfs formated.

Thankyouforyourhelp
Zup

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.