Anyway to disguise the fact that you are on a mac to websites

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
Hi, when I made the switch well had been a mac user in the family forever just been using windows more in high school. Anyway, one of the few things that concerned me (minorly) about switching was that certain websites can't support mac for special features. For example, the main site that came to mind was launch.yahoo.com. They feature music videos. When you try to access it from a mac, it says you can only do it on a mac using Netscape 4.7. So when you do that, it runs the OS in classic I believe, but it doesn't relaly work to show the music videos. Do you think that it is truly impossible to run the videos on Mac OSX? Furthermore, is there anyway to hide the fact that I am using a mac and using Firefox/safari to them? Like how can websites tell that? This is one of the very few drawbacks, and it ticks me off that sites won't go the extra effort to support the several million mac users. Also lack of online poker like party poker ticks me off. Poker room is available but it stinks. Anybody ever play party poker using VPC 7? Is it worth it? I wish I could try VPC7 before buying it as I would like to see how it would work at doing things that I occasionally would like to do but can't.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you very much in advance!

Happy Holidays!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
johnny5w said:
If you try the browser Opera there is a setting that lets you identify as a different browser.

How about the ability to disguise the fact that it is running MacOSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I doubt it... :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I say try opera, if not, mozilla browsers use the same things as netscape, maybe one of them will work.

N

nomore

This is easy. I do it all the time on the British Lottery web site.

Enable Safari's debug menu.

Open the terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type in the following: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Quit Safari if open and relaunch it. There will now be a Debug menu next to the Help menu. Go to the 'User Agent' item and then select 'Windows MSIE 6.0'.

This will tell web sites that you are running Internet Explorer 6 on Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The problem also is regardless of if you change what your browser tells people that it is, you still may not get the special features. If the site uses activex controls or Windows IE-only coding, it still won't matter.

I say to avoid those sites any ways. Why give patronage to a site that is designed by a horrible webmaster who doesn't accept web standards?

R

ryanyogan

I am pretty sure that Launch indeed is using the .NET framework, and on top of that they are using alot of windows only features, some ActiveX for sure in the actuall player (this is what makes it so "active" instead of feeling like a web site.) Indeed they should of used more open standards, they could be missing several million hits due to non mac compatability. This is odd too coming from yahoo which is one of the most friendly sites I have seen for all the neat effects and what not there sites use. Not to mention the fact of there sites being a majority PHP, why use ASP.NET?? I guess they saved money instead of going the J2EE route

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Yahoo Launch now works fine when I disguise Safari as MSIE 6.0

But unfortunately Safari can't play WinMedia files from within the player. So the video actually doesnt play. Shame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Strider said:
Yahoo Launch now works fine when I disguise Safari as MSIE 6.0

But unfortunately Safari can't play WinMedia files from within the player. So the video actually doesnt play. Shame.
that is a shame, I can play wmv just fine in safari. why cant you? I havent been to a site yet that plays windows media content that I cant play.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Interesting, it works for me also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Howw???????? Help Me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.