• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Copying DVD's Tutorial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i was under the impression that panther can only do +R for data backups and not video

D

deutch226

Hello everybody, first post here but was enjoying the discussion.

Could anybody tell me if they think it should be possible to use the above techniques for copying movies using my iBook 700mhz, 256mb ram & macos 10.3 with an external DVD-R drive (it won't be a superdrive but if you know of an external superdrive please tell me) or will I have to forget this and wait till I've the money to also buy an imac with superdrive (a distant dream, and a G5 is even further away!).

Many thanks,
deutsch226

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I'm using Memorex DVD-Rs and Apple 4x DVD-Rs.

I'm doing the "Movie Only" instead of having the extra's and menu's, etc.. to save space.

If your VIDEO_TS folder is smaller than 4.7GB then I think it is a problem with your multimedia (DVD-Rs).

sKaD

p.s. Tell us how the burn goes with the Apple DVD-R

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
An External DVD-R Drive will work fine.

sKaD

C

ckny

It turned out to be the media. I was using +R's and didn't even realize it. Tried the Apple DVDr and it worked fine. Since then I've switchd to Memorex dvd-r and that works fine as well! thanks for the help folks.

Now, on a related note I just encountered my next problem today. I've burned a few dvd's using the method above successfully using Memorex DVD-R media. Today I tried backing up two more and now have 4 coasters on my desk. Two gave me an error, the next burned correctly, and now I have two more dead ones that gave the same error.

The error is from Toast 5.1 and it happens shortly after it tries to write the lead in. It says:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x0X, 0x08
WRITE ERROR - RECOVERY FAILED

Anyone ever get this error and know why it's occuring? I'd like to stop making coasters here. =)

T

The Dragon

The problem of not having enough space is VERY easy to solve: The second option in DVD2oneX is output: if you select user defined and put a lower amount then 4472 i did 4450 wich is just 0,5 % less of the total space on a dvdr, you will never get the mesage again. i use an internal prometium burner and use some cheap sentinel dvd's. And it works great.
But there is one problem: I want to backup my second disc of the X men 1&2 movie but there is an encription on it witch DVD backup, DVD extractor (under OS9) and finaly DVD2oneX does not understand and fails the process. Can anyone help me with that?
Ow by the way a useful tip: If you get an encryption error in DVD2oneX try making a disc image with toast and mount it, and then do the usual thing sKaD yust explained. (i always make an image to be sure, and it might speed up the compression)
The Dragon

T

The Dragon

The problem of not having enough space is VERY easy to solve: The second option in DVD2oneX is output: if you select user defined and put a lower amount then 4472 i did 4450 wich is just 0,5 % less of the total space on a dvdr, you will never get the mesage again. i use an internal prometium burner and use some cheap sentinel dvd's. And it works great. :D
:mad: But there is one problem: I want to backup my second disc of the X men 1&2 movie but there is an encription on it witch DVD backup, DVD extractor (under OS9) and finaly DVD2oneX does not understand and fails the process. Can anyone help me with that?
Ow by the way a useful tip: If you get an encryption error in DVD2oneX try making a disc image with toast and mount it, and then do the usual thing sKaD yust explained. (i always make an image to be sure, and it might speed up the compression)
The Dragon

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
The Dragon,

If I have a problem with DVDBackup with decrypting a DVD I use OSEx which usually gets the job done. Choose to make DVD Folders.

sKaD

p.s. Thanks for the tip, I barely noticed that I could do that about a week ago.

J

jerrysturman

I have had this same problem! Even though DVD2oneX is supposed to compress the files, they always come out slightly larger than the available space on the new DVD in the burner. I have tried two different brands of DVD and the result is the same.

Has anyone solved this problem yet??

ckny said:
skad, GREAT tutorial. I just tried following it step by step and got the same error message that zimmerb61 got.

I ripped the hulk using dvdbackup and used dvd2onex to create the video_ts folder. Now following your instructions I loaded up toast 5.1 and created a new DVD called THE_HULK and added VIDEO_TS to the project.

Now in the VIDEO_TS folder in toast it lists 36 items. When I click record I get an error message saying

"There's not enough gree space on this disc: 2312904 sectors (4.4 GB) are needed, 2295106 sectors (4.4 GB) are available."

Does VIDEO_TS include unnecessary files that need to be deleted before recording? I noticed your screen shot of two towers showed only 10 items but I have 36!

Here's a list of all the items in VIDEO_TS that were added to Toast:

.DS_Store
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_0.IFO
VTS_02_0.VOB
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_03_0.BUP
VTS_03_0.VOB
VTS_03_1.VOB
VTS_04_0.BUP
VTS_04_0.IFO
VTS_04_0.VOB
VTS_04_1.VOB
VTS_05_0.BUP
VTS_05_0.IFO
VTS_05_0.VOB
VTS_05_1.VOB
VTS_06_0.BUP
VTS_06_0.IFO
VTS_06_0.VOB
VTS_06_1.VOB
VTS_07_0.BUP
VTS_07_0.IFO
VTS_07_0.VOB
VTS_07_1.VOB

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. =) Thanks!

J

jerrysturman

sKaD: Do you have any specific info about splitting the files in VIDEO_TS to make 2 DVDs?

sKaD said:
The only thing I can think of is you are using the same VIDEO_TS folder DVDBackup created and not the one DVD2OneX made.

Also, it depends on how long the movie is and if it has special features, etc..

Sometimes a DVD just wont fit onto one DVD-R thus the reason for copying the movie only. Which is basically all you really need when you make a backup, since you'll still have the original.

Also, you can make 2 DVD-Rs..

One with the movie only and the other with the special features.

sKaD

V

voodoo

skad, great tutorial. It has always worked for me when I follow it.

I have a related question you may know the answer for. I have a video project that I filemd and edited in iMovie. I want to export it to DVD, not using iDVD. I simply want the movie, no titles or chapters. What do I export the project as and how do I use Toast to burn it?

any help would be appreciated.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
voodoo, which version of Toast are you using?

If you are using 5.x.x I do beleive you click and hold "other" then choose Video CD

Then hit "Select.." and choose your .mov file.

I "think" toast does the rest>? Don't know "too" much about making VCDs but that should give you a good start on how to.

sKaD

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Toast 6 will create and burn a DVD. In Toast 6 you choose the video tab, select DVD. Then drag and drop the video clip you want to create the DVD out of.

L

lordofdeadside

havin' playback problems

the tutorial works very well, up to the playback point. the disk won't play in standalone players. the only way you can get it to play is to open the video_ts folder in appledvdplayer, then its fine. if i turn on invisible items, i can see a .ds_store file. i burnt another but as soon as you click burn another .ds_store file pops up. has this stopped it working?

*edit spellling

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
The invisible .DS_Store file is the cause of your problems.

When you put the VIDEO_TS folder into Toast (guessing this is what you are using) hit the arrow to the left of the VIDEO_TS folder so you see all the files within the VIDEO_TS folder and at the top (maybe search around?) look for the .DS_Store file and remove it.

I thought I had that in the tut, I'll check now and update if not.

sKaD

L

lordofdeadside

sKaD said:
The invisible .DS_Store file is the cause of your problems.

When you put the VIDEO_TS folder into Toast (guessing this is what you are using) hit the arrow to the left of the VIDEO_TS folder so you see all the files within the VIDEO_TS folder and at the top (maybe search around?) look for the .DS_Store file and remove it.

I thought I had that in the tut, I'll check now and update if not.

sKaD

yeah i got that bit, i tried using toast and just the finder, but both methods add a .ds_store file anyway regardless of wether you delete it, it just adds one on when you hit burn. its crazy! :confused: see below

roxio1.jpg

click burn and...
roxio2.jpg

*edit added screens

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Try burning the DVD under the video tab. In your example you are making data DVDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.