Problem with transmission.

Reaction score
I have transmission on my black macbook. My internet connection is very fast. my download speed is about 3000. For some reason i'm having trouble downloading torrents. Once I first start a torrent download on transmission it goes about 8-10kb/s then after it gets about halfway done it just slows down to zero. If I shut my macbook and come back in a few hours it speeds up again. What's the problem? How can I get it so it stays fast the whole way? Please help! Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Bittorrent is a give and take system. You may only take as much as you give. So, transfers start out extremely slowly until you have enough of the file to share it, then the speeds start to increase. Also, if you haven't set up port-forwarding on your router and changed your firewall settings to allow Transmission to act as a server, it will be very slow.

OP
B
Reaction score
Bittorrent is a give and take system. You may only take as much as you give. So, transfers start out extremely slowly until you have enough of the file to share it, then the speeds start to increase. Also, if you haven't set up port-forwarding on your router and changed your firewall settings to allow Transmission to act as a server, it will be very slow.

how would I go about doing that? What settings should I change on my firewall? When I get into my bellsouth router I see no option stating Port-forwarding.

EDIT--
I have found te section in my router where I can setup port fowarding. What should I put? Also will this boost my limewire download speeds?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
how would I go about doing that? What settings should I change on my firewall? When I get into my bellsouth router I see no option stating Port-forwarding.

EDIT--
I have found te section in my router where I can setup port fowarding. What should I put?

You need to direct all traffic on ports 6881-6889 for both TCP and UDP to the IP address your machine currently has.

Also will this boost my limewire download speeds?

Not sure. I don't use, nor would I recommend the use of Limewire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.