Urgent... Connecting InFocus projector to PowerPC G5

Reaction score
I have a PowerPC G5, an Apple cinema display, and an InFocus X1 projector. I need to hook the projector up to the Mac and have it display what's on the monitor.

– The G5 tower has DVI, ADC, USB ports (I have a DVI/VGA converter as well)
– The cinema display has USB ports
- The projector has in/out VGA ports, an S-video port, and a USB port

What are my options for connecting the projector to the G5 and have it project while still being able to see what's onscreen? I see Apple has $19 converters on their store site but those seem to be for iMacs with video-out ports.

– Can I connect the projector to the computer or monitor simply with a USB?
– I'm looking for VGA-to-ADC converters– would the Apple store sell such a thing?
– Or maybe something like an S-video to the ADC port would work?

I need the projector set up for Sunday so it's urgent I get this figured out and whatever needs to be purchased purchased ASAP.

Thanks,
m19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
I am assuming that the cinema display connects to the DVI cable, so you need to use the ADC port to connect to the projector. I would recommend buying an ADC to DVI adapter, apple no longer sells them, and I dunno if you could find them in a store near you, but they can still be found online.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/12651830

You can shop around they are not cheap since they are outdated a little. Just google search "adc to vga adapter" for more results. If you get it shipped on time to make the projector mirror the cinema display go into system preferences/displays then check mirror displays. The cinema display will be limited by your projector's highest resolution.

If you cannot find an adapter to be shipped in time then I would just set the cinema display asside for a second use your dvi to vga adapter and use the projector as the main display, or if you want to save money. I have never heard of someone successfully connecting a projector to a mac through usb. hope that helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
I actually ended up calling the Mac store at our local mall and the folks there indicated you can't have both a monitor and projector running at the same time without two video cards (which I don't have). It's not ideal, but I've settled on using the projector as the main display-- not the best solution since the screen'll be halfway across the room from where the computer is, but oh well...

m19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
I checked up online just to make sure, say your powermac G5 was the first release the 1.6 ghz model the lowest end video card it would have would be the nvidia geforce FX5200. This card supports dual display and video mirroring. Any latter models of the G5 are going to have this card or something better, so as long as you have two outputs on your card you can have dual displays with appropriate adapters. The fact that one of those displays happens to be a projector doesn't affect it at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.