MacBook Pro Processor

Reaction score
Hey I'm getting a Macbook Pro in a few days and I was wondering if it's worth it to spend the extra $500 to get the 2.5 or 2.6 ghz processor instead of the 2.4. Is there a significant difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What do you plan on doing with it? In most cases the performance increase is negligible unless you use programs that specifically benefit from every megahertz.

OP
G
Reaction score
Oh sorry forgot to mention that. I'm planning on being a film major so I'm using Final Cut Studio and editing video. I'm also in a band so I will be using it to record music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, in that case the higher clock speed would help in reducing rendering times. So if saving time on rendering is worth $500, then by all means, go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A 100MHz - 200MHz increase? A few seconds maybe. Minute tops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest taking some of that money and buying a 2x2GB set of third party RAM, which runs for less than $90 nowadays. Video and audio editing really benefit from the extra memory.

Don't even consider getting the memory upgrade from Apple, you'll be charged an arm and a leg for that same 4GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
I agree with Kash, Final Cut Pro would benefit from the bump, but it would be minimal. I would not bother, I originally planned to get the 2.5, but the 2.4 is more than enough for my video editing and photo processing.

I am very happy with the 2.4. I have maxed out the processor before, but only a few times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.