G4 PowerBook Locking up or Shut Down Message

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my G4 Powerbook either locking up or getting a message telling me I need to restart my computer. This seems to be happening more and more. Recently I checked my hard drive and found there were several errors. When I ran Disk Utility it said it could not be repaired. I just installed a new hard drive and thought my troubles were over. While loading Photoshop the message to reboot came up again. When I rebooted it happened later as well as it locking up. For some reason the computer seems to be running hotter than usual. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this or is it time for a new comptuer?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
If it were me I would suspect the ram to be faulty, I have had multiple ram problems. I would recommend using the techtool cd that came with your powerbook, it should have come with the original restore disks. If you don't have that disk then I would suggest just any ram verifier online. But I would run techtool first, it will check more than just ram too. The fact that the computer is running hotter though could possibly be the new drive you put in sometimes different drives run hot, or it could always be something worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I am having a problem with my G4 Powerbook either locking up or getting a message telling me I need to restart my computer. This seems to be happening more and more. Recently I checked my hard drive and found there were several errors. When I ran Disk Utility it said it could not be repaired. I just installed a new hard drive and thought my troubles were over. While loading Photoshop the message to reboot came up again. When I rebooted it happened later as well as it locking up. For some reason the computer seems to be running hotter than usual. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this or is it time for a new comptuer?

Thank you
That would be a kernel panic. And it does usually involve bad ram, but not limited to it. A couple links to look over...
Resolving Kernel Panics

The Apple Hardware Test

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.