MacBook Memory Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
The upgrade to 3.3GB (the max a Macbook can support) would be quite significant. I haven't personally used the Crucial stuff (Mine is this stuff: Link) but it made a big difference going from 2gb to 3.3GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, Santa Rosa Macbooks support 4GB of RAM.

MacBookMe, that RAM will work just fine in a Macbook. Going by your other thread, I'm assuming you'll be sticking this RAM in a brand new Macbook, so you will definitely be able to use all 4GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, go me. I keep forgetting the new guys take 4GB. :(

Now I feel inadequate with my 3.3GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Don't worry, I'm with ya. I wish I could get 4GB, this 2GB is starting to feel slow :(

OP
MacBookMe!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Actually, Santa Rosa Macbooks support 4GB of RAM.

MacBookMe, that RAM will work just fine in a Macbook. Going by your other thread, I'm assuming you'll be sticking this RAM in a brand new Macbook, so you will definitely be able to use all 4GB.

Yes, I'm getting a new Macbook in about mid-July.

Reaction score
Hello,

the current lineup of MacBooks are running the latest 800mhz FSB Core 2 Duo and I noticed the RAM they are using is DDR2 667mhz. Is it possible to swap them out with DDR2 800mhz memory modules? The reason being to get a 1:1 ration for FSB and RAM clock. Would it not give a little more speed or is it locked down at 667mhz? Also would it benefit the GPU since it will now share the RAM at a higher clock speed or is the GPU also limited to 667mhz?

If the speed increase is possible, would this be a good candidate?

Peter

jah

Reaction score
MacBooks are running the latest 800mhz FSB Core 2 Duo and I noticed the RAM they are using is DDR2 667mhz. Is it possible to swap them out with DDR2 800mhz memory modules?
Peter

last year, while researching, looking for a portable, on a vista dell with the mighty intel Santa Rosa chip set i bought installed the faster ram. the faster memory was remained clocked at 666mhz, the oem speed. seems a bios tweak would be necessary.

i recently updated my macbookpro from 2 to 4g, only 666mhz product tho, bought the stuff from newegg.com because i like their fast reliable delivery. didnt notice a big increase in speed but the VMWare virtual machines (10.5.3 + ubuntu + xp) run more reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello,

the current lineup of MacBooks are running the latest 800mhz FSB Core 2 Duo and I noticed the RAM they are using is DDR2 667mhz. Is it possible to swap them out with DDR2 800mhz memory modules? The reason being to get a 1:1 ration for FSB and RAM clock. Would it not give a little more speed or is it locked down at 667mhz? Also would it benefit the GPU since it will now share the RAM at a higher clock speed or is the GPU also limited to 667mhz?

Peter

Yeah, they lock it to 667MHz. The new iMac takes 800MHz SODIMMs though. I would imagine we will see the speed bumped to 800MHz in the next revision of the MB/MBP, but that is just a guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.