User Accounts

Reaction score
Okay, doing some freaking out here.
I randomly decided to change the name of the home account on my Macbook (yes, my fault on this part), and when I restarted it, it was a new account and set in Chinese (Default language, I'm thinking...)
My old account is still there in the User Accounts folder, with all the files, but one I'm using now - All my files, preferences, etc. are gone. It's completely new.
I was wondering, how do I switch back??? I went to User Accounts in System Preferences, but there's only one User Acount there.
Please help! I really want to switch back :(

Reaction score
By this

My old account is still there in the User Accounts folder.

You mean your home folder is still there. In that case since you haven't created a new account, it explains why there is only one account left.

I would suggest creating an account with the user name and home folder name that you want, and then copying all the files across to it and changing the settings to how you want them.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks. But my Dock also disappeared!!! And the language is STILL set to Chinese. How do I deal with that?

Reaction score
And the language is STILL set to Chinese.

Well, I would assume that you should be able to do it by going to System Preferences - International - Language Tab - Drag English to the top of the list.

For the dock, I would try creating the new user and then logging in as that to see if it is there.

Hope this helps

OP
K
Reaction score
Okay, so the language is back to English (thanks RobertC), and I've tried doing the steps in the link Soulwar provided. However, I am met with a new problem...The Finder keeps restarting itself when I click certain things (eg. After clicking Get Info from the new home folder) and the usual spotlight search on each new Finder window is replaced by a big magnifying glass with no search box. When I click that, Finder restarts again.
Also, another problem - Each menu option only show half of the title, like it has no room. Can that be fixed?
Also, how do I access the Trash can without the Dock?

Jeez, what did I dooo!!!

Reaction score
I would definitely suggest restarting, to see if it clears up any of your problems.

To access the Trash, you need to go to Finder - Go - Go to folder and type in /Users/home folder name/.Trash.

Give it a try and tell us how it goes

OP
K
Reaction score
Like I said before, the Finder window keeps restarting. So after clicking Go, then Go to folder, it just restarted itself.
And I've tried to restart the computer, but nothing happened.

All this happened from a simple change in the name of the home folder. Oh my...

Reaction score
To be quite honest, I don't know what to suggest now.:[

My only other suggestion would be to try and set up a different account and try to use Finder in that.

OP
K
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've tried doing that too. Finder keeps restarting as well. No Dock either.

OP
K
Reaction score
So I got it to work.
I copied everything from the old home folder to the new one, restarted my computer, and magically everything is back.
This confuses the **** out of me, but it worked. So I'm not complaining.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.