latch won't broken lid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
My Macbook Pro recently slid onto the floor at about a 30cm drop. Now when I close the lid it closes fine, but when I open it, it doesn't "spring up" a cm so I can pull the screen up easily. Now it just stays flat, and I have to slide my fingernail under the screen and pull it up.

But, if I hold the computer so that the latch and superdrive are facing the roof, and press the open button, the screen springs open a cm like it always does.

Any idea on what I can do to fix this? I have applecare, so I could take it to an Apple store if I have to.. But am not close so would rather not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even if you were to take it in to the Apple store they might not repair it under your Applecare warranty since the machine was dropped. Applecare does not cover accidents or spills.

It's possible to repair it yourself depending on what's wrong with the lid or hinge mechanism. Take a look here: www.ifixit.com. They have comprehensive step by step instructions to do most repairs. You can also order parts from them although the cost (since you're in Australia) may be expensive.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Thanks I'll check it out.

(Oh and I don't know what I was thinking when I named this thread.. I was tired I guess that's why it doesn't make since!)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't worry about it - they get this way on their own after some time. My older CD MacBook Pro had no spring to it when you released the latch by the time I sold it.

This MBP, which is only about 4 months old is already starting to lose it to some extent. Trust me - regardless of whether you dropped it, it will eventually end up the same way.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh I see. I think I'll get it looked at in the Apple Store next time I'm in the city. Maybe even omit a certain little detail if I have to:p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.