Mac newbie question - enable root access

Reaction score
Hi,
I have bought myself a new Apple MacBook Black last week. This is my first laptop and the very first Mac. And I am thoroughly enjoying it.
I am still learning to get around and explore the Mac. I have worked extensively on Linux/Unix, so that background does help.

What I would like to know is that How do i enable root account in my MacBook. I did try to Google about this. And the results showed that I have to open a utility called "Directory" to enable the root account.
But when I look for directory in Spotlight, all it shows is the Open Directory Utility, which is a utility to configure LDAP servers and no where does it help me enable root account.

How can I enable the root account. Any help would be appreciated.
I am currently running Mac OS X 10.5.2

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Mac_Newbie,

Look here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

Be sure to read the cautionary notes...

Congrats on you new Macbook, I'm sure you're going to love it.

Noel

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Noels...

All the while the option was in front but some how I missed noticing it:[ . Well now I have enabled the root account.
Thanks for your reply.

Mac_newbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
congrats on youre new Mac! When I bought my new MacBook (specs are to the left ;)) I immediately fell in love with it!! Hope you enjoy your new Mac :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
FWIW I find it more convenient to simple sudo su - than to enable root and log on as that user.

OP
M
Reaction score
yeah the sudo command is always available... but i just had this itch to enable the root account... its just out academic interest that i wanted to enable the root account. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.