Startup disk option

S

swetha

I need to test the applications on all the OS X.We got a new mac to the office and its hard disk has OS X 10.3.4 on it.My question is how to install the other operating systems i.e 10.2.0, 10.1.0 in the new mac.I am able to partition the hard disk but unable to load the software.Is it b'cos i am trying to install a lower version on a higher version,but why should that be a problem when i'm allocating a separate strtup disk for it.Even if i'm inserting the 10.2.0 cd and restarting the mac and holding the c button it is not booting from the cd.If anyone can give me some information on this that would be great.Its a new mac: Machine model -- eMac
CPU Type---- Power Pc G4 (1.1)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
exactly, youd need to do an erase and install installing the lower OS, use it to partition, then install a newer OS on that partition.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
So you are saying to install 10.1 on clean system first. Then 10.2, followed by 10.3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Im pretty sure thats the only way, install as an upgrade onto a partition, then install the next os as an upgrade onto the next partition. though Im not sure why anyone would want to have 10.1 and 10.2 installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
swetha, what you are doing is correct. Since you already have your drive partitioned, you probably can't install a prior version because of your hardware. Even if it wasn't partitioned you should be able to restart using a 10.2 install cd, unless the hardware forbids it.

Provided your hardware will allow you to install earlier OS'es, you can install OS'es on a different volume in any order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
immdb said:
…you probably can't install a prior version because of your hardware…

I've done quite a bit of research pertaining to the allowable systems for yor eMac. I've not found anything that indicates your eMac can't have OS 10.1 or OS 10.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.