Anyway to automatically delete podcasts?

Reaction score
Is there anyway to set it up, so whenever I sync my Touch with iTunes, it automatically removes from the Touch the podcast episodes that I've listened to. My Touch is just filled with tons of podcast episodes that I've already listened to. Anyway to set it up so only new podcasts are on the iPod? I don't mind there being them on my computer, but rather just the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
Nothing by default, although you can probably write a simple automator script...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Is there anyway to set it up, so whenever I sync my Touch with iTunes, it automatically removes from the Touch the podcast episodes that I've listened to. My Touch is just filled with tons of podcast episodes that I've already listened to. Anyway to set it up so only new podcasts are on the iPod? I don't mind there being them on my computer, but rather just the iPod.

There's a setting on iTunes when you sync to only sync unlistened to podcasts or sync only the last 5 podcast episodes. Look around.

Check either preferences or the Podcast's tab on your iPod Touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
you could also try checking the "Sync only checked items" box. uncheck the podcasts you have listened to. easy =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
There's a setting on iTunes when you sync to only sync unlistened to podcasts or sync only the last 5 podcast episodes. Look around.

I use the settings for "all unplayed podcasts". Using this option, one must go to the end of the podcast to have it shown as played.

Using the "sync all new episodes" option will cause iTunes to not download anything that you have had on your iPod and accessed, whether you have listened to the whole thing or not.

OP
A
Reaction score

I've done the former ("sync all unplayed podcasts"). I listen to them all the way to the end (till it bumps me out to the episode selection screen), yet it leaves all listened to episodes on the Touch.

you could also try checking the "Sync only checked items" box. uncheck the podcasts you have listened to. easy =]

That's an idea; however, it's still not much less work than just deleting them. This might be the best option though.

I use the settings for "all unplayed podcasts". Using this option, one must go to the end of the podcast to have it shown as played.

Using the "sync all new episodes" option will cause iTunes to not download anything that you have had on your iPod and accessed, whether you have listened to the whole thing or not.

I've done the former, but it still keeps old episodes that I've listened to (all the way through). I'll try the latter. However, does it delete episodes that have been on there a while but not listened to (i.e., synced last time, but never listened to)? Does it remove episodes that you have listened to?

This might be a good option. Though, sometimes I listen to half of an episode and finish it later (sometimes after a sync).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
try just syncing "all new" from podcast tab

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.