Backing Up iTunes Music & Burning CDs

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm reading this guide (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-backing-up-ipod-and-itunes-music/) and I have a few questions.

All I have to do is is drag the xml and data files into the external HD and that's it? That'll transfer all my songs with the way they look in my itunes and everything else like playlists?

And I have My music saved in 2-3 different places on my harddrive and I don't want to move them now cause I'd have to relocate all the songs. So those same xml and data files are in other places, do I drag those into the external HD too?

I want to back these up and also put it on my Macbook so I can have my music library with me.

Thanks.

Also, if I want to burn a playlist. How do I get it so that when someone puts it in their computer, the correct song name, artist and album come up just as I have it in my iTunes? Do I go to Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Burning and then click data CD?

And I'm using a PC if this matters at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Ok, to clarify: Consolidating will put all my music into one place and I won't have to relocate them all correct? They'll play normally from their new location?

And when I do consolidate, how will it look? All my file and folder names are pretty neat and I don't want them getting messed up.

Thanks for your help so far.

Should I consolidate on my HD first before I consolidate on the external? That way I can just transfer it over in one shot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, to clarify: Consolidating will put all my music into one place and I won't have to relocate them all correct? They'll play normally from their new location?

And when I do consolidate, how will it look? All my file and folder names are pretty neat and I don't want them getting messed up.

Thanks for your help so far.

Should I consolidate on my HD first before I consolidate on the external? That way I can just transfer it over in one shot?
Yes to all. ;)
You have the right idea and should have no problems.

From Apple's site...
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/windows/tutorial/index.html

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Ok, just consolidated my Library to a new folder. Everything seems good, the new folder with all my songs, movies and podcasts is a little bigger than the original but I figure that's ok.

Now in the guide it tells me to locate the old Data files from my unconsolidated folder and save those. Then after just delete your old files. Is this correct? Once I do that I'm ready to transfer the files to the HD right?

However, I have another question. Since my songs were saved in two places prior to consolidation I have 3 sets of those iTunes data files. Yea, somehow I have 3.

One folder was just labeled "iTunes" and it had the data files, xml files, album artwork, previous iTunes libraries and a few temp files.

The other folder was right next to the "iTunes" one but it was labeled "iTunes Folder with Songs." This one had everything the same as the previous folder only without the temp files.

^^^These two iTunes folders were in the place where I saved 90% of my music. However the one below was in a place where I didn't save any. The place where I saved 10% of my music didn't have any iTunes folders.

The third folder was in my "User's Documents" folder of windows. However this was not one of the places I had music stored, how it got here I have no idea. But all it has is the data file and the xml file.

So...my question is which data files do I drag over to the HD?

Thank you for your help.

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Ok...I don't know if I'm allowed to curse, just know that my tone is angry.

I just moved the Data files described in my post above to my desktop for easy access. I go to open iTunes and all my music is gone. I move my database files EXACTLY to where they were before, restart iTunes and still nothing.

Please help, I'm assuming there is an easy fix to this, all my song files are still on my computer, they're just not showing up in iTunes.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you following the guide from the first link I posted?
First make sure that the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" option is checked in iTunes Preferences:
  1. Open iTunes.
  2. From the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click the Advanced tab in the Preferences window and then click the General tab.
  4. Select the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" checkbox.
    HT1364_1.png
  5. Click OK.
Once you've done that, follow the next set of steps to change your iTunes Music library location to the new drive and then consolidate your library to the new location. This not only copies your audio files over, it also retains your ratings and playlists.
Note: If you move your library to an external drive, you'll need to power up and connect the drive before starting iTunes. If you don't, iTunes will prompt you to either locate the library or to create a new library (which will result in an empty library). No matter what, it's always a good idea to have a backup of the media you have in iTunes.
  1. Open iTunes.
  2. From the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click the Advanced tab in the Preferences window and then click the General tab.
  4. Click the Change button in the iTunes Music folder location pane.
  5. In the Change Music Folder Location window that appears, navigate to the location where you would like your new Music folder to be created.
    HT1364_2.png

Tip: In Windows Vista, click the triangles next to the folders and drives to navigate. The default location is: \username\Music\iTunes.

In Windows XP and Windows 2000, click the plus signs next to the folders and drives to navigate. The default location is \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes.
  6. Click the Make New Folder button in the Change Music Folder Location window.
  7. Enter the name of the new iTunes Music folder.
  8. Click OK in the Change Music Folder Location window. Click OK in the Advanced window.
  9. From the Advanced menu, choose Consolidate Library.
    HT1364_3.png
  10. A message will pop up, click Conslidate. Important: This action copies all of your music files to the new location. There must be enough hard disk space available to copy all of your music files.
    HT1364_4.png
  11. After the folder has been copied, locate your original iTunes Music folder, and drag it to the Recycle Bin. Note: Don't remove the iTunes library files that may be in the same location as the iTunes Music folder. For more information about the iTunes library files, see this article.

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Yes, I followed those direction exactly up until the end. I simply moved the data folders to my desktop, I did not remove them from my computer. And when I put the data files exactly where they use to be still nothing showed up in iTunes. Thanks again for your help so far but I'm getting nervous cause I don't want to lose my date added and all that other stuff and have to re-add my whole library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried it on my wife's windows machine. I took the 2 data files out, (xml and .itl) launched iTunes and it was empty. Quit iTunes, took out the 2 new ones that were made by iTunes to the trash, and added the originals back in. Launched iTunes and everything was back to normal.

I would guess that either you're adding the 2 files to the wrong folder or the wrong data files to the right one. Did you trash the new ones iTunes made?

It should be the in My Documents>My Music>iTunes ,add the 2 files there. Make sure to move any from there to the trash first and that iTunes is not open. Don't delete the trash until everything is back to normal.

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
I deleted some iTunes folders but there was nothing in them. Could that be a problem? I'll try moving those data files to other places.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I deleted some iTunes folders but there was nothing in them. Could that be a problem? I'll try moving those data files to other places.

Thank you.
Sorry you're having a hard time. And I definitely understand your frustration.

Just make sure that those files, along with your music and artwork are in the iTunes folder. And double check the location in the iTunes preferences.

So it should be My Documents>My Music>iTunes and in that folder should be iTunes music, Album Artwork, iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help Soulwar.

But...I give up. iTunes wins. I'm guessing I accidentally deleted the file...or horribly misplaced it. I have a bunch of different data files and I put them back in every combination I could think of. What's weird is that when I first moved the data files the .itl and the .xml files were both over 2.5MB but now the only ones I can find are 1MB or less. So...I messed up and I'm an idiot for moving them in the first place.

So...would you kindly tell me how to quickly re-add my whole library? They are all consolidated in one place so it should be easy. But is there any way to mass-move things?

Thank you very much again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for your help Soulwar.

But...I give up. iTunes wins. I'm guessing I accidentally deleted the file...or horribly misplaced it. I have a bunch of different data files and I put them back in every combination I could think of. What's weird is that when I first moved the data files the .itl and the .xml files were both over 2.5MB but now the only ones I can find are 1MB or less. So...I messed up and I'm an idiot for moving them in the first place.

So...would you kindly tell me how to quickly re-add my whole library? They are all consolidated in one place so it should be easy. But is there any way to mass-move things?

Thank you very much again for your help.
To add the library, from iTunes, select File>add folder to library, then find the iTunes folder. Should be My Documents (your name)>My Music>iTunes.

I'm sorry it didn't go well for you.

I was just thinking though, can you use a restore point to go back to the way things were? I've messed up my wife's computer a few times and that has always saved me.

For XP...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

If so, problem solved! If not, make sure to check the recycle bin and use the search feature, see if the files are just misplaced. Let me know either way?

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
I'm going to restore to 6/26. I'll post my results. I think this will work....

Edit: Ok, restored to before this whole fiasco but it's still the same. My new consolidated folder is there even though I didn't create that until the 27th. Oh well...I'm coping. I added my library back and re-made my playlists. At least the songs names and artists stayed the way I had them. If they didn't I probably would have had a breakdown.

Onto newer, however smaller, issues now. Ok...so pretty much I created my new music folder and ALL my music is now in one place. But I went to the iTunes folder there and it's empty. Will I not have data files until I sync my iPod (I haven't synced my iPod since I lost my library)?

And once I do get data files, can I just simply highlight my new music folder with the data files in it and drag it to an external HD? And then my goal would be complete right?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The files should be there. iTunes creates them even if nothing is in your library.In iTunes, go to Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General It will show the iTunes Music folder location. Is it the same folder you are looking in?

And as far as copying the folder to the external, that will work just fine.:Smirk:

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
For some reason I think iTunes created the new data files in my old music folder. I went to Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General and it is my new music folder. But I didn't see any iTunes folder in there.

The reason why I think my the new data files are in my old folder is because when I tried to move them it said they were in use (cause I had my iTunes open). Would my library be messed up again if I close out of iTunes and moved the data files to the new folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does your new folder have the music, artwork and the 2 data files?

You could drag your old folder to the desktop, then launch iTunes. You'll find out which folder its really using. ;)
Keep everything intact when you move it. And before you move any data files, make sure iTunes isn't running.

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Yea it is using my old music folder even though when I added the library I added the new one. And I double-checked and in the advanced it says the new music folder.

So I have no idea why it's using the old one.

Edit: However, all my music is from the new music folder. When I right-click and click show in windows explorer all the songs are from the new folder.

So to summarize it all up. My music is from the new folder but the data files are in the old one.

I have no idea why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea it is using my old music folder even though when I added the library I added the new one. And I double-checked and in the advanced it says the new music folder.

So I have no idea why it's using the old one.

Edit: However, all my music is from the new music folder. When I right-click and click show in windows explorer all the songs are from the new folder.

So to summarize it all up. My music is from the new folder but the data files are in the old one.

I have no idea why.
So you have 2 music folders with all your music?

I would move your old folder to the desktop, then launch iTunes. If it's empty, than the data folders are in the old folder. If that's the case, close iTunes, move any library files that are in the new folder first, and then add the library files from the old folder, into the new folder. Relaunch iTunes and see if everything is ok.

I would also use the search (from the start menu) and check for any .xml and .itl files.
There seems to be a few extra ones popping up. Who knows? You may even find your old ones...:Smirk:;D

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Wow....ok. So I did the search thing and found the files haha. I put them where my data files are now in the old folder and I got all my data back for my songs. Awesome. Thank you very much again.

So now the only problem is that the data files are in my old folder. I tried moving them to my new folder but when I relaunched iTunes everything was gone again. So I moved them back.

This is what I was thinking. Just delete all the music from my old music folder but keep the data files in them. And then I'll have my new music folder stay the same. Then, for backing up the files I'll just drag both folders. How does that sound? I don't mind having one extra folder around if that means less hassle with iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.