Buggers

Reaction score
Ok, I have to admit that for the last twenty years or so I have ignored the Mac computer so I really don't know that much about what is going on. I purchased a G5 the day after Thanksgiving and am really developing a great like for the thing. 20 years of Mickey Soft will do that for you...

As i have a cable internet connection I was wondering how the Mac is on virus and worms and other such little nastys. I know the Mac doesn't have all the problems Mickey Soft does, but I am sure there must be some out there just for us...

My main question is, what virus program would you recommend to use on a G5 with a 24/7 internet connect? How about firewalls? Any info will be greatly appreciated...

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I believe the tally is something like this--
Viruses: 0
Worms: 0
Trojans: 1, plus 1 proof-of-concept

So long as you're not in the habit of downloading and executing random programs from LimeWire (etc.) you are essentially in the clear. Nobody has yet built a virus or worm that can defeat the Unix permissions system.

There is a simple but effective firewall built into OS X; you can turn it on in the Sharing pane of System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, theres also no spyware or adware, just turn on the built in firewall, and thats more protection than all the money in the world could ever buy a peecee user.:mac:

OP
James
Reaction score
Macman said:
yup, theres also no spyware or adware, just turn on the built in firewall, and thats more protection than all the money in the world could ever buy a peecee user.:mac:

I do believe I have died and gone to heaven.....!!! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Thats dangerous thinking.

Look people, our computers are safe but not indistructable. We need to not get flippant about this. Because if we do, those clever programming b*****d's out there are gonna show us what for.

Lets be happy that the mac has yet to be significantly effected by viruses etc. but we should never think that we never will be. It's coming, lets just hope those UNIX boys can keep up the good work and Apple continue to stay ahead of the game.

OP
James
Reaction score
Macman said:

Hey Macman, love your avitor, is that an actual pic of your car? Mine is. It's a:

1970 Chevelle SS
454 bored 40 over
full race cam with roller rockers
10 1/2 to 1 compression
putting right at 533 horses to the ground

Love them Chevies...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.