Ipod on PC and Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Hi all,
Sorry if this is a repeat post.

I've recently looked to buy an Ipod but I use a Mac at work and a PC at home (still can't afford to switch!). I was wondering if it was possible to sync the Ipod with data files, mp3s etc using both the PC and Mac? I get the impression it is one or the other but I am not sure. Thanks!

:flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Your iPod must be formatted for Windows (Windows can't read Mac Formatted iPods, Macs can read both) and turn off autosync so you don't lose all of your music. If autosync is on then everything on your iPod will be wiped out and replaced with what is on the other computer you connect it to

Reaction score
I think you can only have your iPod sync with one computer. When you sync, it won't take songs off the iPod and add them to the library on your computer, it will only copy songs from your computer to your iPod.

V

viz

trpnmonkey41 said:
Your iPod must be formatted for Windows (Windows can't read Mac Formatted iPods, Macs can read both) and turn off autosync so you don't lose all of your music. If autosync is on then everything on your iPod will be wiped out and replaced with what is on the other computer you connect it to

There was a driver I found on the net that would allow me to read and tranfer files on a Mac iPod from an XP box - but stuffed if I know where I found it or what it is called. Have a search - in the mean time I'll ask a friend what driver we used on his XP box... You will need to manually manage songs and playlists (iTunes>Preferences>iPod) for this to work...

/viz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
You can use XPlay2 for windows. Once installed you connect your Ipod to the Windows computer. It will copy to XPlay2 folder. Open ITunes and Add folder to library. It is best to use the Mac at home to do import, rip, etc then import to Windows. Don't forget to turn off Auto sync.

C

code777

so if my iPod is formated Windows my iBook will not transfer songs to my iPod? It will only read music files? I do put a lot of files on my iPod for my iBook...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.