Downloading problems with Firefox

Reaction score
henever I click on a link to download a dmg file, it never downloads automatically, just opens a new tab with the url in it and hangs. I have to use igetter to do it which is a pain for smaller files. Any ideas why this is? Every other time of file downloads fine in the usual manner, using the FF download manager. I am using the latest version of FF, as is my wife, both on Macbooks, but she doesn't have this issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, I still can't download anything, there doesn't appear to be any difference in the preferences and I have this problem in both Firefox and Safari.

Anyone else got any ideas? The url of the file stays in the address bar and the status bar says 'waiting for.....' but nothing happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trash FF and do a clean install of it and see if that improves things. After installing run Repair Permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What happens if you right click and save link as?

OP
D
Reaction score
Tried both of the above and nothing. The fact it's Safari as well as FF would suggest it's system problem. I need to download Quicktime again but can't, I would usually use iGetter but the download is meant to start automatically (it doesn't) and the dmg link doesn't appear in the address bar so I'm screwed.

OP
D
Reaction score
Still having problems!

On my wife's Macbook, when she clicks on a link she gets the little box pop up to ask her what she wants to do with the file. I never get that, which has been a real pain in the backside when trying to download the new iTunes this week, which never appeared in my software updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.