Mac mini and MS Word 98

Reaction score
Hi,
My mother-in-law has a mini-mac. I think it's running OS X. I want to install Microsoft Word 98 for Mac on it.

Does anyone know if Microsoft Word 98 will run on this?

Thanks so much in advance,
J-man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hi,
My mother-in-law has a mini-mac. I think it's running OS X. I want to install Microsoft Word 98 for Mac on it.

Does anyone know if Microsoft Word 98 will run on this?

Thanks so much in advance,
J-man
That would have to run under Classic. Depending on what Mac mini you have, you may not even be able to run Classic.
You would be better off getting a more current version of Office designed for OS X. That or you could look into one of the many free/open source alternatives for office software.

OP
J
Reaction score
Will Office 98 work on Mini-mac?

Hoping someone will know if Office 98 will work on Mini-mac? I think it's running OX 10.3 or close to that.

Thanks,
J-man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I didn't know there was a Mac version of Office 98. If you're talking about the PC version then no.

OP
J
Reaction score
Office 98

Some guy on Ebay is selling a Office 98 version for the Mac. The label on the CD cover says it's a version for the Macintosh. I hope it's legitimate.

Anyone else know?

Thanks,
J-man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Some guy on Ebay is selling a Office 98 version for the Mac. The label on the CD cover says it's a version for the Macintosh. I hope it's legitimate.

Anyone else know?

Thanks,
J-man
Yes, it is legitimate. I had it when I had a PowerBook G3 years ago.
It is an older version that will only run under Classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Why does she want Word 98 - she will probably find it crashes quite often in classic (which is a sandboxed OS 9) - which was never anywhere near as OS X

You are better off with Office X or Office 2004 for mac

Or, if she can countenence not using MS software the free NeoOffice

OP
J
Reaction score
I just heard about Open Office. I am looking into it. All she really needs it for is to open email attachments sent to her in MS Word.

Thanks to all who posted their thoughts.
j-man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't rely too much on Open Office. You should be able to locate MS Office v. X for Macintosh or Microsoft Office 2004 for Macintosh quit cheaply and don't go back to Classic. The age of the dinosaur is long gone.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't rely too much on Open Office. You should be able to locate MS Office v. X for Macintosh or Microsoft Office 2004 for Macintosh quit cheaply and don't go back to Classic. The age of the dinosaur is long gone.

Why? If all she needs to do is open occasional Word docs sent in email, NeoOffice (or OpenOffice) is more than up to the task.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
J
Reaction score
MS Office 98 and OS X

Does anyone know if MS Office 98 will work with OS 10.3? I'm not sure if Office 98 is only for OS 9x or if it's compatible with OS X.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give.

J-man

OP
J
Reaction score
WIll Office 98 work on OS X?

Does anyone know if MS Office 98 will work with OS 10.3? I'm not sure if Office 98 is only for OS 9x or if it's compatible with OS X. I need to find a cheap way to get MS Word on my mother-in-laws Mac-mini. All she wants to do is open Word documents that people send her. I'm also looking into Open Office. But it would be nice to have PowerPoint, etc. just in case she needs it.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give.

J-man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will run in 10.3 in what is called classic mode. Basically you will have to have a copy of OS9.2 installed, and OSX will run OS9 apps in the Classic compatibility layer

Being OS9, expect office to crash every now and then, but it will not bring down OSX

but, if you cannot run classic, then NeoOffice runs in 10.3
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/download.php#download

and it opens all MS office docs

OP
J
Reaction score
Office 98 and OS x

I think classic is installed. Do I need to switch over to classic or will it launch the office 98 app. seamlessly without me "opening" classic? In other words is it kind of running in the background and will open apps. which need it?

Thanks,
J-man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think classic is installed. Do I need to switch over to classic or will it launch the office 98 app. seamlessly without me "opening" classic? In other words is it kind of running in the background and will open apps. which need it?

Thanks,
J-man

it will do exactly that, it will just launch word 98

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure if it would work, and even if it does it's going to be slow. Why not just download the new version of NeoOffice (It's free) and install that for her? NeoOffice provides excellent compatibility with MS Office document formats and will save to them by setting it as the default.

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

NeoOffice is an OS X port of Open Office. However, I have heard that Open Office Org will release a version for Aqua in the near future which will mean you no longer will be required to have X11 installed. For now though, NeoOffice is your best bet.

BTW, if she just needs a word processor that will read from and save to *.DOC (MS Office), I highly recommend "Bean".

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

It's easy to use, fast, has many features, free, and can be set to default to the MS Office document format.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Haven't we already talked about this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.