need help setting up computer-to-computer network with current wifi network

Reaction score
Hi...

Here is my current situation. I have three macs: G3 (hooked to router with wifi network "mike"), iMac (currently using airport to connect to "mike") and a new MacBook Pro (has remote desktop software).

When I first set up the laptop, it connected to "mike" with no problems. Then I started investigating how to set up a computer-to-computer network because I want to be able to access my iMac hard drive from my laptop wirelessly. I'm not even sure if this is possible, but I found some forums discussing this and tried it.

On my iMac, I created a new network called "Design" and enabled sharing in system preferences. I set up the password and all of the settings. It then said to connect to the iMac's IP address from the laptop or just search for the network "design."

Now that I think about this, I don't see how I could have been connected to "mike" and "design" but I tried it anyways. The laptop said it could not connect to the iMac network. Now I cannot get it to connect to "mike" anymore either. It now tells me the username or password may be incorrect, but they are not. I have tried restarting with no luck and using the diagnostic assistant.

When I returned to the iMac, it was using "design" as the default network and would not allow me to connect to or even see "mike" until I went in and deleted "design." Now the iMac is working fine, but I cannot connect to "mike" even for internet anymore from the laptop. I think I have made a bigger problem for myself.

Any suggestions on how to do this or is there a completely different way I should have tried to set it up? Should I just be using the remote desktop software instead of trying to set up a new network? I also read something about the ISP not allowing the other network and it may be restricting the laptop from connecting now. Any truth to this?

THANKS!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.