Use Safari URL bar as a search bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Hi guys,

When i was on Tiger i used FIrefox as my main browser, but since upgrading to Leopard i havnt bothered downloading firefox and have stayed with Safari. However, the one thing i miss about firefox is being able to type a non-web address phrase/words into the URL bar and get a webpage infront of me. For example, i could type "train times" into firefox's url bar, and it would open the national rail enquires website. I think firefox uses google's I'm Feeling Lucky feature and if its confident about a result, opens the webpage, if not, opens a google search results page. how can i get safari to do this? is there a plugin i can use?
I've also read about people using the safari url bar as a google search bar, but whenever i try this i get a page telling me there is no such site, and do i want to search google, so i then have to hit enter again to get google results. bit of a pain really.

So yeah, anyone got an idea how i get this feature from firefox in safari?
Any help much appreciated,
Thanks,

Luke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
well, there is a google search bar at the top right corner... just like in FireFox...

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i know, but i just prefer the convenience or having it in the url bar, and the way it automatically loads the page, bypassing the google search results page

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Thread moved.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
woops, sorry, didnt mean to put it in the wrong section.

cuhnool, thanks for the link, definitely very helpful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | iPod Shuffle | iPhone |
I'm not sure if that's really helpful.
I mean why not just use Google top right?
Instead of getting the WRONG website accidently than the one you wanted.
Regards,
Applescript Guy

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if that's really helpful.
I mean why not just use Google top right?
Instead of getting the WRONG website accidently than the one you wanted.
Regards,
Applescript Guy

i dont use it for any website, i have specific websites. for example, its much quicker to just type "train times" into the URL bar and have the national rail website come up, than it is to have it cluttering up my bookmarks bar and clicking on that, or, to hit tab, then search train times, then click the one i want. but i do understand what you mean about getting the wrong website up, but its not as if id type a long sentence or phrase into it, and use it as a search bar, its more for sites that i know, e.g. just type in youtube, break, mac forums, etc....phrases that i know will give me the response i want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | iPod Shuffle | iPhone |
i dont use it for any website, i have specific websites. for example, its much quicker to just type "train times" into the URL bar and have the national rail website come up, than it is to have it cluttering up my bookmarks bar and clicking on that, or, to hit tab, then search train times, then click the one i want. but i do understand what you mean about getting the wrong website up, but its not as if id type a long sentence or phrase into it, and use it as a search bar, its more for sites that i know, e.g. just type in youtube, break, mac forums, etc....phrases that i know will give me the response i want.
Ok, I was thinking that every time you opened Safari you would have to do that.
Anyway Good Luck with your URL findings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.