Multizone For Dvd

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just purchased my first Apple Notebook and have a question about how to Multizone the superdrive. I have over the last few years worked in three diffrent countries whicba re all in separate DVD zones.

Can anyone point in the right direction to multizone the notebook so I can watch these movies without fear of locking myself out.

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm afraid it's not allowed, and we're not supposed to talk about it here. Although I'll give you a hint on how its done: Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Can't VLC play any DVD regardless of region?

Reaction score
Can't VLC play any DVD regardless of region?
Nope, not on a Mac. The region code is built into the drive's firmware and the OS checks for it. You can change the region code for a drive five times, then it's locked.

EDIT: Some have reported success using VLC with older drives if you set your user preferences to "do nothing" when inserting a disk. However, those with Matsushita drives are out of luck.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the hint, however it is a little to cryptic for me. I know what Linux is but how does this help me?

Reaction score
Thanks for the hint, however it is a little to cryptic for me. I know what Linux is but how does this help me?
Okay, I'll try to be less cryptic. Here it goes ... but this will probably get this thread closed in a hurry.

Windows and OSX both enforce the region code thing at the OS kernel level. This was a management decision by Microsoft and Apple. It is not surprising because both of those companies are very much involved with the entertainment industry.

There are a few Windows software hacks that are designed to intercept the information read by the DVD drive before it gets to the OS, thus making it look like all DVDs are from the same region. AFAIK, nothing like that works on a modern Macintosh as long as OSX controls the DVD drive.

Linux developers literally don't care what DVDs you play on your equipment, so Linux doesn't enforce region codes. If you install Linux on your Mac as a second OS, you could play DVDs from different regions without having to reset your DVD drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.