iMac (old CRT style) Power UK to US?

M

mac

Could someone help.

I have an imac purchased in the UK. I am British.

I am hopefully heading stateside later this year.

What I ask is - Can I convert/use my iMac to work in the US?

mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well I know that there are Europe Converters for the americans traveling to Europe.. Im shur you have the same power converters in europe. Unless you have the same power plugs as us (doubtful)

OP
M

mac

Thanks for that - i was just wondering if you could change the internal power within the imac?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
mac said:
Thanks for that - i was just wondering if you could change the internal power within the imac?

I thought the Mac uses auto sensing powersupplies?

Anyhow the good thing about going in the westerly direction is that you can't break a 240v power supply by plugging it into a 120v supply so the worst that can happen is that it won't work, going the other way usually results in tears. ;)

My US friends who have taken equipment back that isn't either switchable or autosensing have had to purchase a converter to up the voltage supply, they are quite expensive I believe and most people sell the awkward stuff before they go.

What may be easier would be to find out what power supply you have in the iMac and get a replacement part in the US, I doubt whether that would be any more expensive than buying an converter.

Amen-Moses

This is the sort of thing you need:

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/step-up-transformer-2.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The good news is that the iMac spec sheets for the CRT model from Apple say that the power supply can cope with 100v-263v at anywhere from 40-70Hz so it looks like you just need to replace the plug, that is one of the reasons Apple gear is more expensive, they think of (nearly) everything.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
All you need is a plug converter. I have been all over the world and have taken my powerbook with me and have had no problems.. just needed a plug converter :)

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Well if the power supply will indeed funtion on US voltage as Amen-Moses stated, www.voltage-converter-transformers.com has a simple plug adapter that will allow the UK plug to plug into a US outlet, and it's only $1.99 US.

If it turns out that you do need the added voltage, the same site has a 200 watt (which should be more than enough for the iMac) step-up converter to convert US 110 volt power to UK spec. for $19.99 US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I know when I travel around the world all I need is the plug adapter for the specific country I am going to. I am about 85% certain that Apple uses the exact same transformer for all their products, regardless of country that way they can just produce one item instead of multiple.. saves on production. They just change the plug on the second part of the power cord. Much cheaper for them to do this. The transformer part on one end has the transformer while the other end plugs into your pb/ib etc so this never changes, only the second part of the power cord that is removable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
They just change the plug on the second part of the power cord. Much cheaper for them to do this. The transformer part on one end has the transformer while the other end plugs into your pb/ib etc so this never changes, only the second part of the power cord that is removable.

Actually they go one better than that, my iMac came with a US lead and a UK lead! I reckon once they are boxed up in Taiwan they go straight to the shops.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.