Excellent freeware mac chess program?

Reaction score
I'm trying to study openings and want a simple freeware chess mac program that basically is just a simple board with pieces you can manipulate to arrange different positions. I tried j2chess and exachess, but you can't freely arrange pieces in those. Exachess is closer to what I'm looking for with a database of games, but anyone know of a good program? Thanks. Sincerely, appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
whats wrong with default chess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
as kmki says, what's wrong with the chess program that came with the mac?

OP
J
Reaction score
whats wrong with default chess

For actualy studying moves (going back and forth between moves) notation, seeing full game notation seeing opening books, complex game analysis....default chess is incredibly lame and useless in the above regard, but glad it's there. Additionally it's occasionally stalled on me. But overall, it's a decent program. Glad apple included chess in it's os, I just have sought (and found) a program better equipped for move analyses. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Intel core duo - iBook G4
Best thing for chess analysis and anything chess advanced on a Mac is Sigma Chess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.