MacBook display on TV

Reaction score
Help me out here..
All I want to do is have my MacBook display be viewable on my big screen T.V.
What is the easiest way to do this?
What chords do I need?
Etc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
ok, depending on the inputs into your tv you have several options.
1)If your tv has a VGA input, you can buy a mini-DVI to VGA adapter, this plugs into the side of your macbook, then you run a VGA cable from this adapter, and into your tv.
2)If no VGA, then it will have a composite input (red, white, yellow). You can therefore buy a mini-DVI to video adapter, plug this into you macbook, then using a composite video cable (yellow ends) plug the adapter into the yellow socket of your tv.

If you want sound you need a 3.5mm Stereo Jack (i think its called) to composite adapter, to go out of your headphone socket and into the red and white sockets on your tv.

make sure when purchasing your adapter you get the MINI-DVI to whatever, as many people have made the mistake of getting the DVI to whatever instead, and finding it doesnt fit into the socket on their macbook.

Hope this helps.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hooking display/sound to tv

I have the mini dvi to vgh or whatever and got the display on the tv, now how do I get the sound to travel to the tv as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
What ind of TV/connection options do you have? If you have a newer HDTV you can probably do a DVI/HMDI cord for better video and coaxial/optical cord for better audio, not to mention surround sound if you have the system for it. I just bought these type of cords for myself to hook my MBP up to my HDTV and 5.1 surround sound speakers.

Reaction score
I suggest the mini-DVI to S-video and just the buy RCA plus yellow then the other end to the macbook should be one RCA and a 3.5mm to plug to the macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
yes I don't believe the tv can utilize your mini jack to rca if you are using the mini dvi to vga cable, most tv's don't deperate video input from audio input, unless of course you have a seperate source for audio like a surround sound system or external reciever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.