Problems installing Airport Card in eMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I just did a clean install (10.5) on my son's eMac (6 years old). He has a Belkin USB wireless router, it worked with 10.4, but now I can't get the drivers to make it work.

So, I took an original Airport Card from our old ibook and attempted to install it.

The card is too wide.

Since Apple only has two types of Airport cards, and I know that the eMac takes the original one.

Can anyone help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Hi,

I just did a clean install (10.5) on my son's eMac (6 years old). He has a Belkin USB wireless router, it worked with 10.4, but now I can't get the drivers to make it work.

So, I took an original Airport Card from our old ibook and attempted to install it.

The card is too wide.

Since Apple only has two types of Airport cards, and I know that the eMac takes the original one.

Can anyone help me?

Just a question... Where did you get the drivers that you're attempting to use right now from?

And, on a side note, does Leopard run swift on the eMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If it's not going in like this that's a bit weird.

OP
M
Reaction score
I got the drivers from Belkins web site. I emailed them and they responded that they don't make drivers for 10.4 or 10.5 yet.

Leopard seems to be happy with the eMac. Just did it yesterday, so haven't been able to give it a run for the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just don't see how it can be too wide... that's really odd. It doesn't have any extra casing on it does it? I heard that some do.

How small is the slot? I can't imagine why but maybe it wants an Airport Extreme card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure there was a post a while ago from someone saying they'd found drivers for the Belkin adaptor.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just don't see how it can be too wide... that's really odd. It doesn't have any extra casing on it does it? I heard that some do.

How small is the slot? I can't imagine why but maybe it wants an Airport Extreme card.

I found a lovely lady at an Apple store, who graciously looked it up and told me it needed an Airport Extreme.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm sure there was a post a while ago from someone saying they'd found drivers for the Belkin adaptor.

I haven't found and mention of a driver for 10.5. If anyone else knows anything about it, let me know.

Thanks

Reaction score
eMacs - there's more than one kind!

I'm new to Macs, after a couple of decades working with PC's. I was intrigued by all the "Fanboy" stuff... so bought an eMac (dirt cheap) to see what all the fuss was about. Seems that, in my ignorance, I got lucky. There are three - quite distinctly different - generations of eMac. They look superficially similar, but internally, they're significantly different. Just because someone says "Sure, it'll fit in an eMac" doesn't mean it'll fit ANY eMac. Mine, for example, has both firewire AND USB ports. Older models lack the USB feature. SO, "USB memory stick? SURE it'll fit an eMac!" is only true if you've got a 3rd generation model. The same change took place with Airport cards: early models used WiFi B, later models used WiFi G. (That's two DIFFERENT kinds of "Airport" card.) I got caught the same way - bought an "old model" Airport card for my eMac. Inevitably... I bought the (thicker, and slower) model that's compatible with older, slower generations of eMacs. And to add insult to injury, the aerial which is SUPPOSED to be built into the flap which conceals the Airport card is missing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day BigRon and welcome to the forums.

Wonder if your comments about no USB in fact refer to early model iMacs machines, and not eMacs? All eMacs have USB ports. The early models, 700MHz, 800MHz, 800MHz ATI and 1GHz all have 3 USB 1 ports, and the 1.25GHz and 1.42GHz models have USB 2 ports.

Some eMacs were sold to schools as educational models with special requirements, such as only having a CD reader, or Combo reader, with no burning capabilities and other did not have Airport cards or antennas as they were to be used with cables only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.