Question about removing programs

Reaction score
OK so in the windows world you can uninstall programs using the method install / uninstall .....so how do you do it on the Mac OS .. i am new to the mac world

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. Look for uninstaller in program, software CD or .dmg file.

2,. Download AppTrap and drag program to trash. AppTrap will delete all remaining files, including preference and extension.

OP
macattackz
Reaction score
where do you find the .dmg file? do you go to the application folder or where?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
If you didn't use an Installer to put it there, just dragging the .app file into the trash and emptying it should work. You can also look in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences to delete the preferences and special libraries if you're a completionist, though App Zapper will do all that for you. If you did install it with an Installer, check if an uninstaller exists. If not, the method I just described should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
ok ... is there a uninstall application besides AppTrapp?

Personally, I do it manually. It's not hard. Drag the application to the trash is all that's necessary, but if you absolutely must get rid of the settings too, see if there's a corresponding folder in /Users/Yourusername/Library/Application Support and delete it. Same for any file in the Preferences folder that corresponds (better to just Spotlight the name of the App and see if anything shows up in those two folders).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I use AppDelete now as I like to get rid of all files related to the Application I installed.

Open AppDelete and find the Application you want to uninstall, drag it into AppDelete and go from there. APPDelete will have a log that shows you waht it has removed. It's good for the big applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Go with what Discerptor said. Drop the program/app in the trash, delete, then type the programs name in spotlight and delete anything that shows up that is associated with the program. Works every time. No point in downloading a program to get rid of a program.

Things don't scatter in os x like they do in windows. There are three parts to os x. The library, system library and user library. Nothing installs in the system library. So that leaves the Library and the user library. 90% of everything installs in the user library or applications. There might be a .pkg file under Library>Receipts. Library keeps track of internet plugins, flash, divix, java, start up items and such.

So if you installed the VLC player, 100% of the program should be in the user library and applications. There might be a .pkg file in Library>receipts, but that's it. Os x sets itself up this way, so that if you get a virus, It will attack the user and not the system.

But whatever you're most comfortable with. If a program to uninstall programs makes your life easier, by all means do it. Just thought I'd give you a bit of nerd on how os x works.

OP
macattackz
Reaction score
well i like all the input i can get....now if i drag an app to the trash can and delete...do i go the application called Spotlight and search for all files associated with the app i deleted? or how does that work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Personally I usually just trash the application file.
The preference files applications create are only loaded when the app is launched and are usually only a few kb in size...

The only time I bother is when its a large "media heavy" app, as those tend to have larger files in their application support folders.

Spotlight won't normally search System folders AFAIK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.