::MacBook Pro Won't Get Passed The Startup Screen::

Reaction score
It took a long time to turn on the other day, but for the past few days when I turn my mbp on it stays on the gray apple screen with the little circle that tells you it's loading. What could be wrong? Is there anyway to get passed the screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This happened to me one time after I was playing with things I probably shouldn't have been in /usr/bin... I ended up archive and installing, then only updating up to 10.5.2. There are a lot of problems 10.5.3 caused with the NVIDIA drivers, so I thought it safest to not install that update again. Before doing something so drastic, though, attempt to boot into safe mode by holding Shift as the machine starts up, and keep on holding it until after the second loud chime. If this does not work, try holding Command+Option+P+R as the machine starts to reset the NVRAM. If this does not work, unplug and remove the battary from your MacBook Pro (after shutting off), leave the machine disconnected for 30 seconds, then press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. Finally, put the battery and power cord back in and start up. This will clear the SCM. If none of this works, boot from your OS X install disc by inserting it while the computer is on, then restarting the computer and holding down C. At the top after you go past the first welcome screen (but don't go through with the whole installation!), there should be a Utilities option. Click that and use Disk Utility to repair your disk before restarting. If none of this works, just go for Archive and Install. It only takes a couple hours. I hope something here helps.

OP
N
Reaction score
So I tried all that and nothing worked. Since I can't find the original install disks i had to use the leopard disk. I tried to install leopard and it woudn't let me install it because of errors. This started happening after i installed the program that lets you controll your fan manually. I dont know what else to do since I don't have the disks that came with the mbp. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
So I tried all that and nothing worked. Since I can't find the original install disks i had to use the leopard disk. I tried to install leopard and it woudn't let me install it because of errors. This started happening after i installed the program that lets you controll your fan manually. I dont know what else to do since I don't have the disks that came with the mbp. Any other suggestions?
Try booting from the Leopard install disk and use Disk Utility. (you mentioned trying to install, but not using Disk Utility)
Can you recall the errors you received?

OP
N
Reaction score
Try booting from the Leopard install disk and use Disk Utility. (you mentioned trying to install, but not using Disk Utility)
Can you recall the errors you received?

I tried doing the sick utility > repair disk and it said everything was ok andnothing needed to be repaired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
N
Reaction score
so leopard installed successfully but when it said you must restart the computer i clicked restart and it got stuck on the same screen again.

and no I can't boot up in safe mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you ever recall what errors you had when this started?
I tried to install leopard and it woudn't let me install it because of errors
And what type of installation did you do?

Any chance of finding the original disks that came with it?

OP
N
Reaction score
Did you ever recall what errors you had when this started?
And what type of installation did you do?

Any chance of finding the original disks that came with it?

i can't recall the errors. after the first few errors installing leopard when turnign the computer on a bunch of text would pop up going down the left side of the screen with a message in the middle saying i needed to restart the com[uter..it's not doing that anymore though..the computer was given to me used a few years ago without the disks so I don't have them..if i end up not being able to do anything without the disks where could I obtain some?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could contact Apple for replacement disks. I mention it for the purpose of doing the Apple hardware test, which is on the original disks.
The error you had before was a kernel panic and is probably related to your problem now. Most of the time it deals with bad ram, and could cause some of the problems you are having. Read this link for kernel panics and see if we can do some troubleshooting, as it sounds as it may be hardware based. (especially after just reinstalling the OS)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not necessarily. So far it seems the HDD is ok. We just need to isolate the problem. Depending on how much ram is installed, you may be able to switch modules out and see if it starts up. It may be something that simple to fix.

In the meantime, do you have access to another Mac? You might be able to use it to backup anything you want to keep.
Always prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I ran a hardware test since I found my original disk and it found an error.

It said this.

4MOT/1/40000002:Left_Upper-Front

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 4mot upper left indicates the fan on that side. Was the other error during the extended memory test?

OP
N
Reaction score
does ths have to do with a fan not working properly? because my fan as been making a very loud noie for a long time..but why would that keep my computer from starting up?

OP
N
Reaction score
The 4mot upper left indicates the fan on that side. Was the other error during the extended memory test?

wel my fan has been making a lot of noise for a while now but what would that have to do with my computernot starting up? the other error i got was

4SNS/1/40000000:'TGOP'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wel my fan has been making a lot of noise for a while now but what would that have to do with my computernot starting up? the other error i got was

4SNS/1/40000000:'TGOP'
It could be interfering with the sensors, excessive heat or just realizing the fan doesn't work correctly. It may also indicate a problem with the logic board and/or fan control.

You may want to try using a firmware restore cd. You'll need to find your exact model and correct firmware version.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd17.html

If it works, you can update the EFI and SMC for your MBP. Again, make sure to get the correct version.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

What are the specs for your MBP? (processor speed, screen size)

OP
N
Reaction score
It could be interfering with the sensors, excessive heat or just realizing the fan doesn't work correctly. It may also indicate a problem with the logic board and/or fan control.

You may want to try using a firmware restore cd. You'll need to find your exact model and correct firmware version.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd17.html

If it works, you can update the EFI and SMC for your MBP. Again, make sure to get the correct version.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

What are the specs for your MBP? (processor speed, screen size)

15inch 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

Well this did happen after I installed that fan control app, could that be the culprit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.