Nothing is easy for me with my Mac

Reaction score
I'm bummed that my Mac is challenging me so much. Yes, it is me, not the Mac, but I thought I would be better at this by now.

My latest hang up, among many is trying to figure out how I can play games on either Skype or Yahoo Games. I'm on bed rest from a surgical procedure and I'd like to spend the next 36 hours playing backgammon with a friend who has a PC. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I'm bummed that my Mac is challenging me so much. Yes, it is me, not the Mac, but I thought I would be better at this by now.

My latest hang up, among many is trying to figure out how I can play games on either Skype or Yahoo Games. I'm on bed rest from a surgical procedure and I'd like to spend the next 36 hours playing backgammon with a friend who has a PC. Any suggestions?

Yahoo games seems to work just fine. I'm playing Dominoes right now. Tried Backgammon, but no one seems to want to play. What problem are you having exactly? I do recommend shutting off any popup bloocker you have turned on, since it will stop the game window from showing up.

As for Skype games, those are only compatible with version 3 and higher of Skype, meaning only the Windows version.

OP
Away2me
Reaction score
I don't know how to stop a popup blocker. And when I log onto the games, it brings up the loading window (that says click here if it fails to load in 3 mins) but nothing happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I don't know how to stop a popup blocker. And when I log onto the games, it brings up the loading window (that says click here if it fails to load in 3 mins) but nothing happens.

In Safari, under Preferences, go to Security and uncheck "Block pop-up windows." Make sure the three boxes above it are all checked, though. One thing worth looking into is whether the hospital you're in has a firewall on their Internet that prevents those games from being played.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also if you want to turn off the blocking real fast for a site, click on the Safari drop down in the Toolbar and click on Block Popup Windows and the check-mark will go away. You can turn it back on the same way later. I never leave it off for most browsing.

OP
Away2me
Reaction score
Same thing happens now that I have disabled Pop up blocker. I click on "Play Now" and it goes to the loading page, and then nothing loads, so I click on the thing that says, "Click here if applet fails to load" and the same thing happens. NOTHING.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which game are you trying or have you tried several? I just did the Turbo Solitaire and it worked great.

What are the specs of your Mac and what version of OSX?

OP
Away2me
Reaction score
This happens with all Yahoo games. And I can not figure out what version of OSX I'm running. It is a 1 year old mac book Pro, clearly I am unworthy of such a nice computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click on the Apple at the Left side of the toolbar up top and on About This Mac.

It will list the version of OSX there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
it may, for whatever reason, be that it's safari. Safari doesn't run everything. try downloading internet explorer, (Windows: ugh) and use it just to play the games. it should work. you don't need boot camp. there is a mac version of internet explorer. click this address to download, i hope it all works out.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Internet-Explorer.shtml

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All those Yahoo games are working perfectly here with Safari 3.1.1.

OP
Away2me
Reaction score
Ok, great, thanks for letting me know where I can find my system info. 10.4.11

I will download IE, begrudgingly. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1
Pogo.com also has a good online version of backgammon

Reaction score
does pogo.com work with mac. Everytime I try to play backgammon on there it pops up a window says Loading but never loads anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Firefox 3 handles Yahoo Bridge just fine using ABP (AdBlockPlus).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
does pogo.com work with mac. Everytime I try to play backgammon on there it pops up a window says Loading but never loads anything.

Pogo.com should work perfectly on you Mac. My wife and I play there often. However, it seems to work better with Safari for some reason.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok, great, thanks for letting me know where I can find my system info. 10.4.11

I will download IE, begrudgingly. :D

That would be difficult to do since IE is not available for the Mac (development was dropped several years ago).

Instead, I would recommend that you check to make sure you have Flash installed and up to date. Many of these kinds of games use Flash.

Reaction score
firefox and pogo

Pogo.com should work perfectly on you Mac. My wife and I play there often. However, it seems to work better with Safari for some reason.

I can't seem to play the pogo games with firefox. So I use safari, but would prefer to use firefox. The pop up blocker is off and everything, but like the previous comment, when I try to open a game table (like for backgammon, gin, euchre, etc.) it never fully loads. So I am wondering if it is a problem with the Mac version of firefox and pogo. I always used Firefox and popgo with my PC with no problems.

Just curious of anyone has an explanation. Pogo folks aren't much help.

Reaction score
That would be difficult to do since IE is not available for the Mac (development was dropped several years ago).

Instead, I would recommend that you check to make sure you have Flash installed and up to date. Many of these kinds of games use Flash.

So when linking to the flash player site, it asks what mac version (intel chip vs. something else). How do I find out which I have.
And someone earlier gave a link to a download for IE at Softpedia. It does say it is a 2 year old version. For sites that require IE, is it okay to download this? Some of my kids college stuff and some banking stuff seem to want IE or AOL--and I am not downloading AOL.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So when linking to the flash player site, it asks what mac version (intel chip vs. something else). How do I find out which I have.

Which Mac model do you have?

And someone earlier gave a link to a download for IE at Softpedia. It does say it is a 2 year old version. For sites that require IE, is it okay to download this? Some of my kids college stuff and some banking stuff seem to want IE or AOL--and I am not downloading AOL.

IE for the Mac is obsolete - I'm not even sure it will install on a modern Mac, and even if it did, chances are the sites that you're using will want a more recent version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.