ATI Radeon Mac card causing Mac to refuse to start

Reaction score
Now I've got the issues solved with regards to my original posts I am now trying to get my Radeon card installed. I can't remember if it's the 7000 or the 9200 but it is the Mac edition. It has a VGA and DVI option with a fan on top side and square black heatsink on the bottom of the card.

I can boot using the original card. I booted with the Radeon card in but got no display. I thought maybe the drivers needed updating, so I d/l their latest updates and now the Mac just stays cold when I put the original card in. Help !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Many of the 9200 models are PCI cards and not AGP. Have you checked that out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
what model G4? The ones that originally shipped with ADC connectors often need a little extra work done to gets new AGP cards to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If model number is right, Mactracker advises it is in fact a Quicksilver 733/867 which came with a nVidia GeForce 2MX Graphics card as standard. Never heard of ADC needing 'extra work' and have fitted dozens. Either the cards are DVI/ADC, DVI/VGA or later models DVI/DVI and all are plug and play.

Have you got another card to see if you can get the display to work? Either the 7000 or 9200 could always be fried. Don't want to buy another card if it turns out to be the display.

Tiger should include any drivers needed for late model cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if other cards work and display works, problem must be with this card. They do fail. Does the fan start up on the card when connected? Failed fan units do end up frying the cards.

OP
J
Reaction score
It does appear to be the card - I haven't switched on in a week. When I put the card back in I got no power at all. I took out the card to test without and chimed right away.

OK, my issue is I have to use that DVI connector as that is the port on the back of the Viewsonic monitor - any suggestions - has to be as cheap as possible - can something like that (potential) card in mind be flashed or do I need to buy an Apple card (more expensive) ?

Also, what was the card I have linked a photo of ?!

Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it was not a 9000 that I can tell you, and the 7000 I have seen are green so that leaves your original suggestion of 9200.

Depends what model PowerMac you have. If the Quicksilver as suggested then a flashed nVidia GeForce 6200 will set you back a little less than $100 but if a MDD go for an ATI Radeon 9600 Mac Pro, Quartz and Core compatible as the GeForce do not work in MDD or FW800.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.