17" powerbook: Bag and airline travel suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod
Well I got my 17" powerbook. And what a computer. Very pleased with it. However I am going to need to travel with it soon and will cry when it gets its first scratch.

I have been looking on the internet but am really having problems finding the right bag for it. Can anyone suggest a good place to get a bag or case for it though? Any good websites that sell such a bag? Or any websites that review the different bags available would be good. I am looking for the "messenger bag" type to take as carry-on baggage on the airplane.

Ideally I would get a sleeve to place the powerbook itself in, and a bag to put the sleeve containing the powerbook inside which could also fit accessories such as the power unit and CDs/DVDs/Ipod etc.

Also I am flying economy class in December and was wondering if anybody had experience trying to do this with a 17" (You know like on that Powerbook TV advert where theres a guy with a 12 sitting next another with a 17 on the airplane).

When I had my 14.1" vaio it was ok on an economy class seat. Just. I am concerned that I might disturb other (envious) passengers!

M

MickMAC

Well! I like you have had the same delima for some time now, and after trying a messenger bag, a regular briefcase bag with sholder strap and a solid briefcase, I still have not found a comfortable way to carry the 17inch powerbook for long periods of time. I like to carry all of my accessories with me kind of like a mobile office. I have finally decided that I need to get some type of backpack, but being a professional I don't want to look like a collage kid!

This is the only option I have found for a backpack that will work for me, and I have searched the internet for weeks:
http://www.sjdesign.com/backoffice.html
I will be purchasing this bag this week for xmass, (for myself)

This is the one I wanted to get but of course the company went out of business and there are none of these bags to found... ANYWHERE!!!:
http://www.willowdesign.com/PK-12.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
one word - Brenthaven :alien:

A

agentphish

I got a sleeve from waterfield designs. Very thick neoprene inside with soft felt coating on it so it wont scratch and protects your PB. the outside of the case is thick ballistic nylon. They have the best customer service too and have even checked on me since i got it to make sure everything is going alright. By all means carry your PB on, you'll find that unless you're in first class you wont have room to use it very well though, I found that problem with my 15. I also have a regular messenger bag from Timbuk2 that i stick the sleeve inside.

L

leonel

I think you should pay one first class ticket for your 17inch. You may also consider a first class suit? And of course a limosine to take it from the airport to the hotel... Some security Guards to take care of it it's another option..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Can't help you on the case, but I can tell you one thing:

On my flight home from Siggraph 2004, I popped open my Powerbook to start writing a review to submit to my boss the next day. It just barely fit between me and the seat in front of me. I had to pull my hands way back and was able to awkwardly type.

Oh, and mine is a 12" model. ;)

OP
Wish_4_A_Mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod
Thanks guys, have ordered a sleeve from Waterfield Designs (www.sfbags.com) with shoulder strap and flap. They produce good bags and also give good after sales service apparently. Hopefully I will get in time for X-mas when I am due to travel.

Thinking I might also get that Racer X bag later from the same people. Has anyone got that one and is it any good?

www.Crumpler.com would have been my next choice - Funny website but friendly replies from the people involved.

Well if you can take a 17" Powerbook on a BA economy flight then hopefully I should have no problems on Virgin Atlantic. (Strider posted info about this on someobne else's thread about a bag for powerbooks - thanks mate)

I can't afford first class, limos and suits etc because I have just spent 2000 pounds plus on a 17" powerbook. It would be nice to be able to look after a powerbook in this way though, and there are probably celebrities around who have 17" powerbooks that do this.

C

code777

man i wish i had your problems! haha. yeah 17" is a bit much for a laptop IMHO but still, you got a killer computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if your gonna fly with it, my only suggestion besides those posted here is take an extra fully charged battery if its a long flight.

OP
Wish_4_A_Mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I'm aware of this problem. Thanks for the advice though - I used to take an extra battery with my old Vaio on flights so that I would be able to finish watching one DVD! The 17" PB seems to be able to manage a whole DVD but I will be getting another battery.

U

UrbanAmy

Timbuk2

I don't know about you but I just went with Timbuk2 Commute messenger laptop bag. It works well for me and fits my 15" PB plus additional stuff like magazines, pens, a book, some DVDs, and keys. I'm going to take it with me soon as I go on my trip. I'll put it in good use. I am thinking whether I should buy an extra battery if I want to watch a DVD while I'm in the air. It's hard to find good laptop bags for 17" monster! :spook: I hope you find something you like and in a good use.

R

Relay

i use the Brenthaven messenger bag for my 17". I have travelled on a few flights with it as a carry-on and have had no problems. I always fly coach/economy and i usually pull out my laptop to play a dvd or play a little pocketanks with whoever i am on the flight with. It is a tight fit on the lap table, but its functional.

Brenthaven bag has tons of pockets for everything. I carry tons of stuff with me and it holds it all perfectly. Glad i took my friends reccomendation on buying it when i bought my PB.

OP
Wish_4_A_Mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got my Waterfield 17" sleevecase yesterday in time for Christmas. Highly recommended, and, as stated above, good after sales service. Price was reasonable (including delivery) and even if you live in the UK it comes reasonably quick (about 7-10 days just as they said) if getting it delivered by standard US air mail.

I

IChing

Don't put batteries in check in

After Jan, lithium batteries will not be allowed in checkin bags, carryon is ok.(check regulations Just got back with my 15inch pb from europe, hardly enough room to work in economy class, (dependent on plane and carrier) let alone move your shoulders.
17 in some cases could be wider than your seat, no joke
good luck on your trips

S

SErgini0

I agree with iChing.

17" is far larger than most seats in cattle class (economy for those who don't know the jargon). Even my 15" PB is awkward to use. I eventualy take both my 15" PB (for airport lounge and other work on my travels) and my old 12" Ibook for working while on the plane. I'd really like to see a picture of you with your 17" in cattle class! That would be class!

Try while on board upgrading seats. some carriers allow you for a small fee. I recently got uprgraded for 120$ (USD) flying continental between Glasgow (UK) and New Jersey (USA).

For sleeves for your 17" check the apple store! They have a few for 17" PB. Although you might not like the idea of a red sleeve!

Good luck!

S

source4

I always have trouble working in economy class. It is insane how many people they try to fit in.

As for the bag, if money is not too much of a concern, I recommend Tumi (www.tumi.com). They make business cases and luggage. They are rather expensive, but after I made an intial investment, I have become a convert. Their business briefcases are the best and the Ballistic Nylon keeps all your stuff safe. I have model# 26041

My two cents...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
I bought a Crumpler bag and it's great. The best feature as I commute a lot is that it doesn't really look like it's got a very expensive laptop in it. The padding is extra thick and when they say the fabric is water proof, it really is, as I found out from a trip to the pub the other day with my powerbook. (whoops!)

I have issues with working on a plane using a full sized laptop, economy class was not designed with passenger comfort in mind. I transfer my files to a pda, which could be a better option.

S

slick

for people that might be viewing this thread for suggestions, i just got a booqbag (www.booqbags.com), the cobra XM model.
i got it for a birthday present from my sister.
the bag is large, but has lots of space. its heavy to, weighs 6lbs!!! but its very well padded and is quite tough.
while i think $150 is much for a bag (my sister doesnt though), after seeing it, i would spend the money on one.
here are some quick pics i snapped of it, but the ones on the site are better: (be warned, these are large pics, 22XX x 15XX):
http://slickssite.com/Boogbag/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.