how do i completely clear my harddrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Pop in your restore discs, hold C as you reboot, and after you select your language in the setup, find Disk Utility at the top menubar. Select your hard drive and hit Format

Reaction score
When you say "wipe out" your hard drive, do you just want to reuse the hard drive, or do you want to erase your data so completely that nobody can ever read it again (like you're going to sell the notebook to somebody else)? If it's the second option, then reformatting won't be nearly enough. You want to nuke it instead. There are a number of programs that do that, like this one: http://dban.sourceforge.net/ Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
yeah simply formatting it and then leaving it in someone else's hands can be very dangerous... make sure you do a thorough job, and good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I believe Disk Utility offers multiple options for Erasing the HD., and I'm sure you can do it twice or three times just to be sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
When erasing the disk using the disk Utlity on the OS X install DVDs you can do whats called a Secure Erase which writes 0/1 all over the disk, 1, or 3 or I think more. 3 Passes should be more then enough unless you have sensitive classified info on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.