Using Time Capsule as Wireless HD

Reaction score
Yesterday, I purchased a 1TB Time Capsule. The people at the Mac Store told me that I could set it up to operate as a wireless hard drive on the network. I went through the Airport Utility and set up a secure network and I have no problem logging into it and accessing the internet. I do not want to set up Time Machine to automatically back up, I just want to the Time Capsule to appear somewhere as a 1TB Drive that I can copy files to and from. Does anyone know where I can find step by step instructions and troubleshooting suggestions on how to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Does it not appear under the 'Shared' menu in the Finder sidebar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You can still use the Time Capsule as a HD and have it as your Time Machine back-up disk. I do it all the time for my external HD. Works great. Just drag and drop the files you want stored on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMAC; iPAD; iPHONE 4s; iPOD Classics; Time Machine
I'm able to see my 500gb TC under shared tab. However I can't drag my iTunes folder or iPhoto folder to back them up .

OP
J
Reaction score
When you click on the TC in the shared tab, there is another disk inside it, usally labeled "Time Capsule Disk." To add your photos and itunes folder to it, you have to create the folder inside the "time capsule disk". You can also set your itunes preferences to show your time capsule as the default location for your music, and set itunes to automatically manage your files. It will copy everything in there for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMAC; iPAD; iPHONE 4s; iPOD Classics; Time Machine
Joe - there is a folder already on my TC with the names Itunes and Iphoto. The TC was working fine when I first bought it. It just wont take any files now even though I have over 343gb of space. When I try to drop anything in the TC I get that no smoking sign.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.